ballisticexchris

Maintenance, adjustments, and modifications to our Betas

Tighten my chain up this morning before a ride.  Took it off the stand to torque the rear wheel nut and noticed fuel leaking out of the bottom tube. So I took the carb off and had a piece of trash on my float valve. Look like clear plastic or maybe a piece of varnish.  Didn't leak again , so good to go.😁

• Like 2

Does anyone have experience with this?

If the main shaft bearing is worn, does it mean that entire shaft has to be replaced?

Little bearing is not in the parts fiche.

20191109_154426.jpg

20191109_155105.jpg

Edited by Balkan boy

You could just use an inner bearing extractor (or have someone do it for you) and go to your local industrial bearing seller with the old bearing. I'm 90% sure they will have it, or at least know where to get one.

You could also look for bearing code from the outer race and just ebay it, or buy a new shaft 😀

• Helpful 1

Can anyone direct me to a good write-up on changing the fork oil on the Sachs ZF forms. I have a 2019 and want to service my forks soon and have never done it myself.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Demo_man said:

Can anyone direct me to a good write-up on changing the fork oil on the Sachs ZF forms. I have a 2019 and want to service my forks soon and have never done it myself.

I started a thread on this subject:

From what I've been able to gather, it should be as simple as I outlined.  I'll likely do mine tomorrow.

1 hour ago, braindead0 said:

I started a thread on this subject:

From what I've been able to gather, it should be as simple as I outlined.  I'll likely do mine tomorrow.

Thanks you

Rebuild the forks on my 2017 RR300 standard edition. The previous owner had written in the service book that the forks were last serviced at a shop approx 70hrs ago.

For some reason, there was a total of 4 spacers in the other fork, two on top of the spring, and two between the thick white spacer and the endcap. Other fork had only one spacer on top of the spring. Could this be done intentionally?

For now I took the excess spacers out so that both forks matched and measured the fluid level 135mm from top.

Still have to change studded tires as we recently got out first 4 inches of snow in Finland

IMG_20191130_100610_1.jpg

Anyone else have a fuel cap issue. My 2019 390 fuel cap won’t tighten down. It seems to cross thread itself no matter how I put it on. If I apply much torque it jumps threads and pops off. 
Anyone have a fix? 

tia

I took apart my triple clamp to re grease the bearings. There is an o ring on the top. Does it go below the dust cover  or on top of the dust cover ? Thanks.

11 hours ago, Demo_man said:

Anyone else have a fuel cap issue. My 2019 390 fuel cap won’t tighten down. It seems to cross thread itself no matter how I put it on. If I apply much torque it jumps threads and pops off. 
Anyone have a fix? 

tia

Has it always done this? If not, then most likely the tank has a problem and most likely needs to be replaced - if it has done this from the start a new cap may solve your problem and should have been replaced thru warranty. RM has the IMS cap for $14.95 which should be the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtdirtbag said:

Has it always done this? If not, then most likely the tank has a problem and most likely needs to be replaced - if it has done this from the start a new cap may solve your problem and should have been replaced thru warranty. RM has the IMS cap for $14.95 which should be the same.

It has done this since day 1. I will contact Beta to see if they will send out a replacement. Thanks

On 12/13/2019 at 10:43 PM, jcarlson9 said:

I took apart my triple clamp to re grease the bearings. There is an o ring on the top. Does it go below the dust cover  or on top of the dust cover ? Thanks.

I believe it goes above

On 11/9/2019 at 8:49 AM, Balkan boy said:

Does anyone have experience with this?

If the main shaft bearing is worn, does it mean that entire shaft has to be replaced?

Little bearing is not in the parts fiche.

20191109_154426.jpg

20191109_155105.jpg

I would replace the shaft, most likely something is worn as well and finding that bearing would be near impossible most likely. It is metric of course but the size of it and design is going to be specific to that shaft. Removing installing if it if was available would be using a blind bearing puller (most likely heating with a small propane torch or heat gun). Installing (freezing the new bearing) heating the end of the shaft.

Went through the swingarm and linkage bearings today and those needle bearings are tedious for sure.  You have to be real careful or you're going to lose some.  I took them out to clean then a little grease, replaced. Took a while, but no play in anything.  Surprisingly still tight at 99 hours. Going to do the steering bearings next weekend.  Any tips? Hopefully just clean and regrease. 20200112_134901.thumb.jpg.6f4f676d6da4ba2d29c31069f17d840d.jpg

• Like 1

Checked my steering bearings on my 2017 yesterday and still looked good, just regreased them 100 hrs on the bike.

Changed the fork oil also as i have never done it, oil was surprisingly good, no aluminium particles or water has got in , oil was just a bit darker but nothing like most forks i have serviced in the past. 

Next is top end kit, through the exhaust port i can see some blow by but the horizontal lines on the piston are still there. Will get a new kit and replace anyway.  

• Like 1

Did my steering bearings yesterday and finished up today cause I got into beer 30 and I try and not miss those on the weekend. 😁20200117_134613.thumb.jpg.6771107e06d28fe71c5b01d91b3fb4e1.jpg

Worst part of the whole job is messing with all the electrical. 😭  Now it's time to ride. One more thing,  after I got to a stopping point yesterday. Took a walk to the old beaver dam and damn beavers. Busted it this morning, so now I got some killing to do.🤬20200117_171056.thumb.jpg.e1f65531cfba2d0293b0fa722d66b21c.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edgecombe said:

Took a walk to the old beaver dam and damn beavers. Busted it this morning, so now I got some killing to do.

You can kill or relocate them but eventually they'll come back.

• Helpful 1

27 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

You can kill or relocate them but eventually they'll come back.

Oh I know. Its become a hobby of mine.👍

• Haha 1