Light kits?

The stock stator on a 450/505 SX-F/XC-F has minimal power to do anything other than charging the battery so the starter works and the ignition fires. Note that the ignition on the RF4 engine uses DC power from the battery (not AC from the stator like almost every other bike on the planet) so if the battery goes dead, push starting isn't an immediate option until there is some charge (however minimal)

in the battery to fire the spark plug.

Trail Tech makes a stator/flywheel kit that puts out an extra 90W compared to stock. It is not cheap.

I don't know what kind of lights you are planning to put on (or what you want to use them for), but if you don't want to spend the $ for an upgraded stator, then just make sure when you ride in the dark that you always have someone else with you that has an e-start bike and carry a small set of jumper cables with you. I had a plug on my 505 so I could plug in my Battery Tender without taking the seat off. I just took the small alligator clip/cable part that had the same plug end on it and carry it in my back pack so if I need to jump start on the trail I can. In that scenario, you just have to remember that you are hooking it up backwards, so the red alligator clip is now the negative side. That small clamp/cable section rolls up and fits right in my fanny pack with the rest of my tools, or you can duct tape it to the inside of the airbox lid/side panel for emergency use if you don't use a pack of some kind when riding.

I know more than one guy that has run lights with the stock stator, and then just throws their 450/505 on a battery charger at home to keep the battery from going dead. It can easily be done, and there is nothing wrong with going that route. I just don't like to do that because there is no kickstart for backup, and when I ride in the dark, I RIDE in the dark. I will be out there for 6+ hours, and I don't use small lights.

Edited by eastreich
  • Like 1

The stock stator on a 450/505 SX-F/XC-F has minimal power to do anything other than charging the battery so the starter works and the ignition fires. Note that the ignition on the RF4 engine uses DC power from the battery (not AC from the stator like almost every other bike on the planet) so if the battery goes dead, push starting isn't an immediate option until there is some charge (however minimal)

in the battery to fire the spark plug.

Trail Tech makes a stator/flywheel kit that puts out an extra 90W compared to stock. It is not cheap.

I don't know what kind of lights you are planning to put on (or what you want to use them for), but if you don't want to spend the $ for an upgraded stator, then just make sure when you ride in the dark that you always have someone else with you that has an e-start bike and carry a small set of jumper cables with you. I had a plug on my 505 so I could plug in my Battery Tender without taking the seat off. I just took the small alligator clip/cable part that had the same plug end on it and carry it in my back pack so if I need to jump start on the trail I can. In that scenario, you just have to remember that you are hooking it up backwards, so the red alligator clip is now the negative side. That small clamp/cable section rolls up and fits right in my fanny pack with the rest of my tools, or you can duct tape it to the inside of the airbox lid/side panel for emergency use if you don't use a pack of some kind when riding.

I know more than one guy that has run lights with the stock stator, and then just throws their 450/505 on a battery charger at home to keep the battery from going dead. It can easily be done, and there is nothing wrong with going that route. I just don't like to do that because there is no kickstart for backup, and when I ride in the dark, I RIDE in the dark. I will be out there for 6+ hours, and I don't use small lights.

Thanks that is the kind of information that I have been looking for. I want to run just a simple hedlight and a brakelight, I have been toying with the idea of plating my bike and here in wyoming it is really easy to do. How, or where can you run the lights off of the stock wireing?

Thanks that is the kind of information that I have been looking for. I want to run just a simple hedlight and a brakelight, I have been toying with the idea of plating my bike and here in wyoming it is really easy to do. How, or where can you run the lights off of the stock wireing?

There is nothing in the stock harness to run any lights with, so it is just a matter of running a hot/lead wire right off the battery for lights. I don't hook to the battery, but to the hot side of the starter solenoid just as it puts the wire a little more out of the way as I ran the wire right up through the stock harness wrap. You can tap into any brown wire in the stock harness for the ground.

You can obviously do things much more complicated than what I have above (and I have since done that) but for a quick way to go, that is it.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you have already put a light kit on, but I have an 04 MXC that is licensed for California street. It has a Baja designs H/L, brake lamp, super small led turn signals, but it still has the stock stator and I have to run it on high beam to get O.K. light for street, but in the dirt it doesn't light up to ride very fast. I bought a Trail Tech 100 watt stator kit for about $100, but haven't got around to throwin' it in. After that I want to buy a Cyclops fender light. Just did a 150 mile ride on my Bday Nov 26th into the Santa Barbara mountains (check out Divide Peak OHV on youtube) about 80 miles of street then 70 miles of awesome dirt, got back at dark and stock stator did O.K. comin' home but 100 watts will be a major improvement.