Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Best winter riding spots in CO/UT?

High rockies rider here... It's getting cold and snowy already! Looking for any recommendations as to riding spots in CO/UT in the winter besides Moab...

My picks for winter riding

Western Slope:

White Wash, Utah

San Rafael Swell, Utah

Rabbit Valley, Co

Fron Range:

Texas Creek

Penrose

PPIR

Nothing compared to the high country riding through the summer, but it's better than being curled up in a ball in the corner of the room.

My picks for winter riding

Western Slope:

White Wash, Utah

San Rafael Swell, Utah

Rabbit Valley, Co

Fron Range:

Texas Creek

Penrose

PPIR

Nothing compared to the high country riding through the summer, but it's better than being curled up in a ball in the corner of the room.

+1... Head west!

And if there is too much snow over there, look south (New Mexico).

Alcalde, Southern, Buckman, etc.

Usually we can find places to ride most of the winter.

CoKTM

How about the area bordering Kremmling--Wolford Mountain? Does it stay dry through the winter?

=Doug

Not really. Depends on the winter but most winters there is enough snow to make it sloppy. Burns/Bond is a better bet.

How about the area bordering Kremmling--Wolford Mountain? Does it stay dry through the winter?

=Doug

I go snowmobiling up at Rabbit Ears most of the winter, and that's all of 20 mins away from Kremmling. So.... no. :smirk:

I like the Salida/Fourmile area in the winter. That's where I go when the sled's broke.

Thanks for input on Kremmling.

I thought it might be some kind of winter gem, but sounds like not so much.

=doug

Somebody mentioned Texas Creek... and it might be clear of snow now because of the drought conditions around here, but I wouldn't usually count on it now being covered.

No need to hurry over to Moab. NOAA says it was -10 this morning and there's still a lot of snow...probably 4" in shaded areas in the valley. Even the river is frozen over. However, Today may be the first day above freezing in several weeks. Calling for 33! Woohoo! Let's hope it's on the way toward average temps.

As a follow up to the previous post, a lot of snow has melted in Moab but there is still some in the shade. Things are pretty muddy right now. In about a week there may be good riding on trails like poison spider and slickrock that are rocky. However they are calling for more rain or snow on Friday. Hope for rain.

I'll be heading up through Green River today and Chimney Rock. If there's any good news I'll post it.

• Like 1

Rock Springs WY. I ride year round from my house. Typically not so much in January/February.....But if it is above 35 it is time to ride!! Lots of technical Desert singletrack and Two track to hit up right from town. Any goon news on Chimney Rock Area hrpufinstuff?

I never got to chimney rock. Ended up in grand junction instead. Guys are saying they rode near gj but it looked pretty wintery to me. I'll be back in moab later this week and will know more. If you need an immediate update just pm me so I see it right away. I'm look I'm looking for someone to ride with on Sunday if anyone is interested.

just attempted 4mile in buena vista and its still got alot of snow as you get higher up lower roads and singletrack are ok , but as you go up it gets deeper

All shaded areas in town Moab have about an inch of snow. Poison spider and slickrock should be ridable but higher elevation north and east faces have snow. I heard it was pretty muddy around Gemini Bridges. Going to ride poison spider today.