2009 Hard starting cold.

I have a super low time (10 hours) 2009 KX450 that I bought a few months ago. I have put 4 hours on it since then, and it used to start normal, i.e. 3-4 kicks cold,1-2 warm. The bike sat for about 3 weeks. During this time I installed new springs front and rear. The weather turned cooler and I went out for a ride, but it would not kick start after 20-30 kicks. So we tried push starting it, and it fired up. This continued through out the day. If it sat more than about 5 minutes, it would have to be pushed to start. The bike runs normally warm or cold.

If I put a battery in place of the condensor, the bike starts normal. With the condensor in place and back probed for voltage, I get about 4-6 volts depending on how hard I kick, but the volts rapidly drop to zero if I stop kicking. If I kick fast 3-4 times as quick as I can, the volts get above 9-10 and the bike will start.

Also when the battery is connected, the fuel pump runs for about 8-10 seconds and then stops. Is that normal or should it run continuously?

The fuel pump puts out more than 26ml for 3 seconds. The coolant temp, and air temp sensor, and stator have correct resistance. The capacitor voltage is 13.6-14 when running, but the ac volts fom the stator is around 11vac when I rev it up. The manual specs 37+ vac for this test, and leads me to a weak flywheel. Anyone ever have this problem?

The bike is all stock, apart from a team green remap to a "worcs 10" tune. This tune feels lean to me and very responsive at low rpm. I have a KX FI calibration kit on the way, but I need to sort out the starting issue that was not there before.

Edited by jetdriverbr

Please don't take this the wrong way.....do you know how to start a newer 4 stroke?

1.The bike has to be at top dead center or they just don't like to start (don't 1/2 the bike, kick starter all the way to the top even if you have to 1/4 kick it to get the kick starter all the way up).

2. When it's cold do you pull the black knob (choke) out on your throttle body?

I'm on my second 2009 KX450F EFI and have had no problems with starting cold or hot. I ride my on the ice in the winter and it will start when it's zero out side with around 10 kicks.

Good luck

Edited by newp500

I have no trouble starting my friends 2012 kx450, and used to have no trouble starting my bike. Something has changed and it is not my starting technique. These bikes, when working properly, are the easiest to start, other than my two strokes. I used to give 2 slower kicks when cold to charge the system, then find compression and start from the top on the third kick and it would start easy.

Yes on the black knob when cold.

Edited by jetdriverbr

I have no trouble starting my friends 2012 kx450, and used to have no trouble starting my bike. Something has changed and it is not my starting technique. These bikes, when working properly, are the easiest to start, other than my two strokes. I used to give 2 slower kicks when cold to charge the system, then find compression and start from the top on the third kick and it would start easy.

Yes on the black knob when cold.

Sorry....I'm no help. I would be in the same boat as you if my started to act up.

Edited by newp500

I reset the ecu back to stock and the starting problem did not change. I borrowed a capacitor from my buddies bike and it started normally. I put the original capacitor back on and it has been normal ever since then. I don't know if I had a loose connection in the capacitor or what. My next mission is to put dielectric grease on all the connections on the bike.

HELP needed, I have a 09 kx450 with starting issue. I just got it but it came with the starting issue. I've tried everything, changed the spark plug and make sure I got spark , I took the gas line from the tank leavin the fuel pump connect and cranked it to make sure gas pump works wen I crank.. The only way it starts if I go on a hill and pick it up and let it idle for a few minutes then i shut it off then crank it back right away it sometimes starts but most the time it doesn't... If it sits there for 5-10mins it won't fire up no matter how many times I crank .... Can Anyone help me out plz