About to buy 2009 KTM 450 XC-W. Anything to look out for?

I am going from an almost 200 hr 2008 KTM 450 XC-F to a 10 hr 2009 KTM 450 XC-W. I mainly ride woods and power lines and hoping for a more tight trails friendly suspension and overall ride without sacrificing power. I can't afford a 2013 anything, so not an option. Anything I need to be aware of with that year engine/suspension, etc?

Actually very few of the 2009 have the oil transfer issue so you are good there.. Mostly 2008's with that problem.

The only other thing is the rings on that year are prone to burning oil and some valve guide seals were crushed from the factory.. Best to change to an after market piston and rings when you get to 120-150 hours..

Other than that fit a dirt tricks or djh timing chain tensioner and you will be good to go!

Edited by Aardvarkzoo

What's wrong with the stock timing chain tensioner?

If you get on dirt tricks site they did have a diagram that shows what his tension does compared to the oem.His tensioner is a few mm's longer in turn it holds the cam chain tighter and prevents chain slap.

They (including me) had problems with the auto decompresion on the cam shaft.Now some of the later model 09's had the up grade.I know on ktmtalk and mabye this site has a picture to tell the difference between old de comp and up graded one.

I bought an 09 with 1.5 hours on it and at about 27 hours it started burning oil and the dealer said it needed to be looked at when the season is over as it failed the leakdown test. Luckily I bought the thing at a very good price or I would be pretty upset as it's going to cost me $400-900 to take it apart and either new rings and or a new piston as apparently it takes five hours to split apart the case to find out the true issue. I have to add oil with every ride but the rides are wonderful and would buy another one if the price were right.

• 10 months later...

I realize this is an older post but I am also looking at buying a 2009 KTM 450 XCF-W from the local dealer.  The bike only has 33 hours on it and is in really good shape.  I took a ride around the parking lot and their small grass test area and the bike feels very tight and new.  Cosmetically, the bike looks like it was never raced or abused.

The only thing I noticed was that there is some soot (black residue) on the tip of the muffler.  I've owned many Honda 4 stroke bikes and have never seen this on the tip.  Before I even started researching the bike online, I suspected that it may be burning oil. If the bike really is burning oil, how long am I looking before I will have to do a top end rebuild? Additionally, how much (ballpark) would I be looking at spending down the road on this sort of problem?

They are asking $3500 for this bike.  Do you feel I'm looking at an over priced lemon, or do you feel this is a reasonablly priced bike that will live a long and happy life on the trail with only routine maintenance and repairs?

You can see the soot on the muffler in this picture:

2c90ac77-d93d-429f-a3b7-a9ffbdae4cad.jpg

I realize this is an older post but I am also looking at buying a 2009 KTM 450 XCF-W from the local dealer.  The bike only has 33 hours on it and is in really good shape.  I took a ride around the parking lot and their small grass test area and the bike feels very tight and new.  Cosmetically, the bike looks like it was never raced or abused.

The only thing I noticed was that there is some soot (black residue) on the tip of the muffler.  I've owned many Honda 4 stroke bikes and have never seen this on the tip.  Before I even started researching the bike online, I suspected that it may be burning oil. If the bike really is burning oil, how long am I looking before I will have to do a top end rebuild? Additionally, how much (ballpark) would I be looking at spending down the road on this sort of problem?

They are asking $3500 for this bike.  Do you feel I'm looking at an over priced lemon, or do you feel this is a reasonablly priced bike that will live a long and happy life on the trail with only routine maintenance and repairs?

The guy that owns Point Veiw KTM is a honest guy and a good dirt bike rider. If it were me, I'd ask him that exact question.

RB

Yes the bike is at pointview cycle. Jason & Chip are definetely good guys. A second opinion never hurts. Im coming off of a XR250R and I saw another recent post of someone making this same transition. All of my buddies are telling me to go the 200 or 300 route but I've always been more comfortable riding 4 strokes.

For the riding I do the weight of a 2 smoke would be nice but its that e start im really after. Unfortunately my budget will not allow me to have a 2 stroke and electric start...

It looks like a really nice bike and the price seems OK based on Northern California standards.  I would question the hours though based on the appearance of the clutch cover.  My 2013 500 has 85 hours with very little wear on side case, granted it has seen very little mud since new.  I would still buy it if condition is as you describe.  Coming off an XR250 you will feel like you died and went to heaven.

Thank you all for the replies!

I'm 6'0"  at 180lb, been on dirtbikes for 2 years now (6 years of quads before that), and we ride mostly rocky hill climbs, trails, and single track. I do plan to do some long tours in Hatfield McCoy next spring/summer/fall.  The XR is a great bike, its never let me down but I feel like I'm running it too hard with the hills I'm attacking and the speeds I'm getting comfortable with. 

A lot of the guys we ride with run 200 and 300 XC-W's and my main riding partner runs an older RM250 set up for hill climbs.

I'm going to head there after work today and inspect it a little closer.  I just might have to change my name from RedBlack to OrangeBlack.....

So I did end up buying this bike. The only thing I see wrong is the speedometer unit. It turns on when I move the bike/spin the wheel, but I can't seem to page through the options. Maybe I just don't know how to use it yet, maybe the battery is low, maybe it has corroded connections, or maybe its just bad. I have to look closer into it.

Im aware of the problems with these xc4 motors but I plan to change the oil frequently (every 8 hours or so) and clean the air filter constantly and hopefully it holds up. I don't plan on screaming it constantly. From the minimal amount of riding I've done on it thus far, it is like a whole going from a model T to a 2013 Mercedes Benz! My stock XR250 was an awesome bike but it was definitely holding me back for the hillclimbing and rough rocky riding I do! Im sure Ill miss the low maintenance but that will be meeting made up for with the abundance of power, fancy speedometer/tripmeter, and heavenly suspension!

So I did end up buying this bike. The only thing I see wrong is the speedometer unit. It turns on when I move the bike/spin the wheel, but I can't seem to page through the options. Maybe I just don't know how to use it yet, maybe the battery is low, maybe it has corroded connections, or maybe its just bad. I have to look closer into it.

Im aware of the problems with these xc4 motors but I plan to change the oil frequently (every 8 hours or so) and clean the air filter constantly and hopefully it holds up. I don't plan on screaming it constantly. From the minimal amount of riding I've done on it thus far, it is like a whole going from a model T to a 2013 Mercedes Benz! My stock XR250 was an awesome bike but it was definitely holding me back for the hillclimbing and rough rocky riding I do! Im sure Ill miss the low maintenance but that will be meeting made up for with the abundance of power, fancy speedometer/tripmeter, and heavenly suspension!

The speedometer functions are locked at the factory. There is a sequence of button pushing to unlock the fuctions you would like to use.