Ricky stator vs. ebay stator?

My stator died, so I ordered a new one and installed it last night. Everyone says go with Ricky stator, but I couldn't see paying $250 for a drz stator. So I found one on ebay that sounded alright and was only $104 shipped. But really, what are the differences? Have many people been burned by faulty aftermarket stators?

This is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

You will have to let us know the answer. Ricky stators are $125. A recent post by Ricky stator said they were out and will be 4 to 6 weeks for more. In the mean time Ricky stator is selling a stator for $250 direct from the manufacturer of Suzuki OEM parts. The one you bought could be a RMStator, really don't know. They have had some problems in the past. Maybe all better now?? The verbiage about "high output" is always a concern to me. Is it higher than standard?? Implies it is but does not actually say. And would that be a good thing if it was? Questionable.

Okay, I didn't see that post about ricky stator being out of stock. Too bad, but I installed the ebay stator last night and went for a ride today. Everything seems good so far. All lights are brighter than ever, and I was able to use the electric start several times without issue. I will update this thread if I ever run into any issues with this stator. Thanks!

They describe the oem stator as unreliable , which is wrong .

They sell pro com gear etc ... Not good

My stator died, so I ordered a new one and installed it last night. Everyone says go with Ricky stator, but I couldn't see paying $250 for a drz stator. So I found one on ebay that sounded alright and was only $104 shipped. But really, what are the differences? Have many people been burned by faulty aftermarket stators?

This is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

Ebay as states the PN is an ESG-180.

Which is an Electrosport part.

http://www.electrosp...esult/?q=ESG180

Personally I would not use Electrosport parts in my lawn mower.

Due to the way the company closed shop and left people hanging, and the fact Procom bought them out.....procom being another off shore parts supplier that has had shoddy parts flood the market at times..

Let us know how it works out, things could have changed.

Ricky customer support and the fact that they stand behind their product should make the choice a no-brainier.

One word - Ricky

The guy is a TT sponsor and helps guys out all the time and truly stands behind his product.

1 year warranty! Just ride the hell out of it and let us know.

let us know how it works out, for that price I would keep one with my tool set just in case I needed it

One word - Ricky

The guy is a TT sponsor and helps guys out all the time and truly stands behind his product.

Good reason to use the product

Good reason to use the product

+1..... :thumbsup:

They describe the oem stator as unreliable , which is wrong .

They sell pro com gear etc ... Not good

EBay has been a major source for me, for a long time. I have never checked this deep on a product and would have passed, if I knew the rest of the story. Guess I've been lucky. Right now, I just put in a Vapor speedo/tach from ebay. I guess, you never know, but I will keep getting stuff there, til I get burned bad.

Edited by underbike

A stator is just one of those parts I don't see myself fixing on the side of a trail. I would rather go with something that has not only a good track record but good customer service too!

EBay has been a major source for me, for a long time. I have never checked this deep on a product and would have passed, if I knew the rest of the story. Guess I've been lucky. Right now, I just put in a Vapor speedo/tach from ebay. I guess, you never know, but I will keep getting stuff there, til I get burned bad.

Same here , I use E bay for mostly everything , I find pay pal to be a secure way of doing business .

I just bought the same stator off Ebay for my DRZ that was having low volt problems. I installed it with no problem but still my bike was running low volts. I trouble shooted everything again and it turn out the new stator was faulty. I contacted the seller yesterday to try to get a replacement or a refund i will keep you posted on what happens.

This must be stator week.... Just diagnosed mine as Kaput also!

I'm just wondering, I have it apart and it looks fine, (I. E. It doesn't look fried in any way), is it common for all three coils to ground out at once?

Anyway as far as ebay stators go, my budget pretty much excludes the $250 OEM choice and waiting multiple weeks is also undesirable. All of which brings me back to ebay where I see a "Race Tech" brand stator for around $100.00. Does anyone know about that brand?

Ricky, Ricky, Ricky.

I'm just wondering, I have it apart and it looks fine, (I. E. It doesn't look fried in any way), is it common for all three coils to ground out at once?

Anyway as far as ebay stators go, my budget pretty much excludes the $250 OEM choice and waiting multiple weeks is also undesirable. All of which brings me back to ebay where I see a "Race Tech" brand stator for around $100.00. Does anyone know about that brand?

Very, very rare all three would ground out unless it was severely burned up. Are you sure you tested it right? Post a picture of your stator too, if you can.

All 3 yellow wires are interconnected in the stator by coil windings that have about 1 ohm resistance. ("Y" connected 3 phase stator) So yes it is very common to have all 3 yellow wires show short when the short is anyplace in the yellow wire circuit. The only why you would not see a short in all 3 is if there was also an open (broken) wire. If you had a sensitive enough ohm meter, you could measure the resistance of each of the 3 coil sets, then measure each yellow to ground, then you could locate the individual coil set that was shorted by the difference in resistance.

My stator died, so I ordered a new one and installed it last night.

How many miles are on the bike/current stator?