Sign in to follow this  

Utah Trials tires newb question. Do they shred from any highway use?

A few of us from Ohio will be going to Moab to ride for a week. Another rider here gave us some trials tires (rear) that are almost new condition. Two of them are Michelin Trial Competition and two are IRC TR 011R's. I've seen some comments that neither of these tires are suitable use on asphalt above 40mph for any distance. Comments have indicated that after a few miles above 40mph, the center knobs start to fall off.

While the majority of our time will be spent on slow trails, we will often be riding asphalt above 40mph to get to, or connect trail sections. We'll also be riding some miles on fast dirt roads.

So, will these tires hold up under highway use? Will they likely hold up better if we use higher pressures like 15+psi for road sections, then reduce pressure for trails? Or, should we instead buy some DOT trials tires like the Pirelli MT-43?

Also, please let us know any other tips. What psi do you run? We will likely run heavy duty tubes in both types of the tires.

Thanks

Edited by 99klr250

The Michelin tubeliss trials tire is great on roads. I don't know from personal experience, but would expect that the tubed version is also fine on pavement. The only trials tire I've had problems with on pavement at higher speeds is the Dunlop 803. It will heat up and start to pull apart with extended stints at higher speeds on pavement. Note: my experience is limited to a few miles at a time. I wouldn't speculate about what 20 miles at 60 mph would do to any trials tire.

I was in Moab a couple of weeks ago with a relatively new D803 trials tire on the rear. We stayed up north in the Sovereign area, but I rode down into town a couple of times for trails down that way. In all, I'd say I rode 75'ish miles on pavement usually around 60 MPH.

After seeing your post, I went & took a close look. There are cracks on the leading edge of several of the center knobs. It's nothing bad, but I can tell some damage was done. They were aired to 10 PSI for the trails and I left them there for the road work. I also run UHD tubes. I love that tire off road & will probably stick with it for future trips, but if you're buying something new and pavement will be a big part of the picture, you might want to look at other options as Enterprise said.

Have fun!

I was in Moab a couple of weeks ago with a relatively new D803 trials tire on the rear. We stayed up north in the Sovereign area, but I rode down into town a couple of times for trails down that way. In all, I'd say I rode 75'ish miles on pavement usually around 60 MPH.

After seeing your post, I went & took a close look. There are cracks on the leading edge of several of the center knobs. It's nothing bad, but I can tell some damage was done. They were aired to 10 PSI for the trails and I left them there for the road work. I also run UHD tubes. I love that tire off road & will probably stick with it for future trips, but if you're buying something new and pavement will be a big part of the picture, you might want to look at other options as Enterprise said.

Have fun!

Ten psi is pretty high for a Trials tire. I bet the problem would have been dramatically worse at 6-8psi - more typical pressures for a trials tire.

Trials tires probably wear out the fastest of any off road tire when used on the street.

Moab has so many sharp edges on the rocks that I raise tire pressure to around 18 both ends. Traction is supreme there, and I don't want a pinch flat.

When are you going?

I have a trials tire on my wr450 and you have to be carefull with low pressure in the tires. Have a HD tube or tubless system if you want to run a low psi. Or ride real slow....Mr. Weaver....

I don't know about prolonged street use, but for trail riding i run 13PSI in my rear trials. I have only pinched it once in ~4 years. I have run the IRC, Michelin and Pirelli. Hated the Pirelli. Compound is too hard. IRC was favorite until I tried the Michelin this year. Will stick with that. Traction of the IRC but seems to wear longer. Trials are not very good in heavy sand or mud. But most of Moab is rock, where they excel. If you are only going 10 miles on pavement at 40mph, should be fine, in my experience.

You're coming all the way from OH. Might I suggest you trailer to the good stuff?

=Doug

Edited by dougrender

I dualsport my ktm 520 with a pirelli mt 43 at 7psi with an ultra heavy duty bridgestone tube and 3 rimlocks.

Traction rocks in sand, rock, tree roots, wet trails, hillclimbs, fresh snow.

Heavy concentrated mud not so much

I have run hour long high speed stretches of highway numerous times with no issues.

I have never pinch flatted with one.

I get 3,000 miles per tire in mixed 90%dirt 10% street use