Sign in to follow this  

TTR230 Timing Issue and timing marks

There are 3 marks in the sight hole, I I I I have read the last one is the TDC, which i believe to be true, cause my bike starts. But have a workshop manual that says line up the the timing marks ( that's okay easy enough) But when i put the timing chain back on and then the timing chain tensioner, the Tensioner dials back the cam mark 1/4 inch. Yes the bike starts and seems to run okay, but I get this hesitation/cough which i assume is the carbside backfire. Am i supposed to compensate for the role back of the cam with the tensioner. Am i incidently retarding or advancing my timing? I hope i explained this well enough, i'm trying to pin down this low speed/low gear cough. Has new rings, piston, valve seals, everything cleaned up well great compression, Carb has been surgically cleaned twice now, no vacuum leaks that any flamable liquid can excelerate the idle. 91 octane fuel, big gun exhaust, jetted 130 / 38 (ideal).

-and what actually happens if you rotate the motor clockwise instead of counter clockwise? what is the possible side effect.

Any suggestions, facts information welcome.

UPDATE: It was a timing issue on the cam, i had been adjusting the timing chain wrong. The 3 "I" mark is TDC and the the cam sprocket was about 5 degree's advanced or counter clockwise, I had adjusted the tension on the wrong side of the cam sprocket. I was trying to make the cam chain tighten up to the mark with the tensioner which is backward, I adjusted the sprocket itself to the time mark on the left side and then the tensioner tightens up the slack on the right side. I don't think i did any damage cause it seems to run even better, there's no carbside misfire or cough hesitation on 1/8 throttle low gears.. mid and full throttle seemed fine before but i knew something was off and thanks to the other post's that gave me the "definites" of what causes a carb side backfires, helped narrow it down.. So eventually i got it.. Cheers. I had to learn somehow lol.

Edited by TTR230CA
  • Like 1

Thanks for this post, im having some carb side cough at low speed as well, ill check the timing!

• Like 1

There are 3 marks in the sight hole, I I I I have read the last one is the TDC, which i believe to be true, cause my bike starts. But have a workshop manual that says line up the the timing marks ( that's okay easy enough) But when i put the timing chain back on and then the timing chain tensioner, the Tensioner dials back the cam mark 1/4 inch. Yes the bike starts and seems to run okay, but I get this hesitation/cough which i assume is the carbside backfire. Am i supposed to compensate for the role back of the cam with the tensioner. Am i incidently retarding or advancing my timing? I hope i explained this well enough, i'm trying to pin down this low speed/low gear cough. Has new rings, piston, valve seals, everything cleaned up well great compression, Carb has been surgically cleaned twice now, no vacuum leaks that any flamable liquid can excelerate the idle. 91 octane fuel, big gun exhaust, jetted 130 / 38 (ideal).

-and what actually happens if you rotate the motor clockwise instead of counter clockwise? what is the possible side effect.

Any suggestions, facts information welcome.

UPDATE: It was a timing issue on the cam, i had been adjusting the timing chain wrong. The 3 "I" mark is TDC and the the cam sprocket was about 5 degree's advanced or counter clockwise, I had adjusted the tension on the wrong side of the cam sprocket. I was trying to make the cam chain tighten up to the mark with the tensioner which is backward, I adjusted the sprocket itself to the time mark on the left side and then the tensioner tightens up the slack on the right side. I don't think i did any damage cause it seems to run even better, there's no carbside misfire or cough hesitation on 1/8 throttle low gears.. mid and full throttle seemed fine before but i knew something was off and thanks to the other post's that gave me the "definites" of what causes a carb side backfires, helped narrow it down.. So eventually i got it.. Cheers. I had to learn somehow lol.

where does the line on the cam gear go top or bottom?