Sign in to follow this  

Good deals for wheels for 2013 CRF450 ?

Anyone knows where to buy complete wheels for the new -13 CRF450 ?

I´m thinking of Talon/Excel or Talon/Kite... or something like that.

Any special US-dealer you can recommend ? (International order)

How is the RAD/DID Dirtstar combo ?

And also the RAD/ Excel A60 combo ?

Those RAD hubs...are they any good ?

Personally, I would only use, and recommend OEM, Kite, Talon and TCR hubs. Excel A60 or DID LTX are the best rims for MX, and either stock spokes (light and strong enough) or any "B" brand spoke but they tend to be heavier than stock.

Something like these:

IMG-20120410-00244.jpg

Edited by Ed2006CRF450R

talon with the DID Dirt Star STX. you will be very happy. NO issues with mine at all. the STX rims are stronger than the LTX and only slightly heavier.

Call or email Dubya. They are very helpful and build wheels for the top riders/teams here.

STX are 15% stronger I think, better for rougher, rockier tracks for sure. The LTX are at least as strong as A60, so they are plenty strong enough. The STX are overkill for most, except for fast enduro guys (rocks, roots and trees smacking you around) and high-speed desert racing. At least that's what DID and the wheel builders tell me. Now a pro mx'r likely needs the STX, for obvious reasons...

Edited by Ed2006CRF450R

If you race the STX rims are definitely worth the piece of mind. Sure whoever you call, the wheel experts will steer you in the right direction.

Edited by cjmx

Tcr for the win. Why add unspeung weight and rotating mass with other hubs? Also you can use oem seals spacers and bearings !

Edited by Dasquriel

Wow, new rear OEM hub MSRP is $394 vs $209 for 2012. Looks like new OEM hubs with A60s is not as good of a deal as it used to be.

I put the LT-X's on my 2012. Only 2 races on them so far but They have been great. I will say, they have been the easiest rims to lace up and true, compared to Excel and Pro-Wheel. Just the straightest out of the box without the annoying hump where the rim joins together. Also, I like that the DID's mimic th estock rim with the wheel lock placement and the large hole for the valve stem.

As for hubs, stock seems to be the lightest and cheapest. I think the billet ones are overkill and most are probably heavier than stock. How many people have you ever seen have a "hub failure" with the stock hub? I never have. Only broken from people letting their sprocket bolts get loose.

How is the RAD/DID Dirtstar combo ?

And also the RAD/ Excel A60 combo ?

Those RAD hubs...are they any good ?

The RAD hubs are good HRC, I have used them on some of my bikes recently, No problems. I have had good dealings with KSR wheels in usa...

Does anyone know if team Muscle Milk Honda are running Silver rims or Black rims on the team bikes for the 2013 season. I know they ran black rims at MEC in Vegas, but the teams do some one off deals at Vegas events... Any idea???

The RAD hubs are good HRC, I have used them on some of my bikes recently, No problems. I have had good dealings with KSR wheels in usa...

keith is great to deal with, give him a call.

Does anyone know if team Muscle Milk Honda are running Silver rims or Black rims on the team bikes for the 2013 season. I know they ran black rims at MEC in Vegas, but the teams do some one off deals at Vegas events... Any idea???

Dont take my word for it but it seems factory Honda will actually go with black rims for 2013. All guys that have access to the -13 factory bike seems to use black rims. Even McGrath had em black in that SX test riding video togheter with Shorty.

This whole rear hub bullshit has me really irked with Honda. Why they couldn't hold the line and keep the hub design consistent over 4mm is beyond me.

We race east coast pro nationals as a privateer team from the back of a van.

We bring 2 bikes to a pro race. Our bikes typically consist of last years race bike, as a practice/parts/backup bike, and one current model.

At a local race this isn't a big deal, since usually only one bike is brought to the races.

At a pro race the primary bike is prepped with what you think is the correct setup with gearing and tires.

You plan your backup bike with gearing, sprockets, and tires for the conditions that you suspect could arise. The rest of the bike is there as spare parts.

During qualifying there really isn't time to be changing tires, or sprockets, between qualifying sessions. So if you need tires or gearing you pull the whole wheel assembly from the backup bike and switch out the whole assembly.

As an example, we prepped for Unadilla 2012 knowing the track would be tilled deep, and probably soft because it had rained most of the week leading up to the event.

The race bike was prepped with a Dunlop MX51. The backup bike was prepped with a MX11 rear paddle tire. A last minute decision was made to switched to the MX11 for qualifying, and it was a simple 10 min wheel change. For the race the intermediate rim/tire combo was switched back. This is no longer possible due to the new design.

With the wholesale changes they've made there are now other problems with bodywork, sub frames, and a bunch of others parts as well. Maybe now we bring boxes of parts instead of a whole bike.

Edited by nesc103y

keith is great to deal with, give him a call.

Keith, thats the man, He is great to deal with.

Dont take my word for it but it seems factory Honda will actually go with black rims for 2013. All guys that have access to the -13 factory bike seems to use black rims. Even McGrath had em black in that SX test riding video togheter with Shorty.

Ok, looks like Black it is!!!

This whole rear hub bullshit has me really irked with Honda. Why they couldn't hold the line and keep the hub design consistent over 4mm is beyond me.

We race east coast pro nationals as a privateer team from the back of a van.

We bring 2 bikes to a pro race. Our bikes typically consist of last years race bike, as a practice/parts/backup bike, and one current model.

At a local race this isn't a big deal, since usually only one bike is brought to the races.

At a pro race the primary bike is prepped with what you think is the correct setup with gearing and tires.

You plan your backup bike with gearing, sprockets, and tires for the conditions that you suspect could arise. The rest of the bike is there as spare parts.

During qualifying there really isn't time to be changing tires, or sprockets, between qualifying sessions. So if you need tires or gearing you pull the whole wheel assembly from the backup bike and switch out the whole assembly.

As an example, we prepped for Unadilla 2012 knowing the track would be tilled deep, and probably soft because it had rained most of the week leading up to the event.

The race bike was prepped with a Dunlop MX51. The backup bike was prepped with a MX11 rear paddle tire. A last minute decision was made to switched to the MX11 for qualifying, and it was a simple 10 min wheel change. For the race the intermediate rim/tire combo was switched back. This is no longer possible due to the new design.

With the wholesale changes they've made there are now other problems with bodywork, sub frames, and a bunch of others parts as well. Maybe now we bring boxes of parts instead of a whole bike.

Crfstuff released a adapter sprocket so you could keep on doing it like you were.