Help Identify this carburetor. Can i use it?

So my friend just bought a 99 wr400 and it still has the stock carb on it. I bought a drz400sm that had an fcr on it but I was told the carb was not for the drz and it looked like it was from a wr450 or something like that. Im trying to see now if i can use this carb from the drz on my friends wr. I've tried looking up the number on the carb and calling Keihin but i still cant find out exactly what its for. I know it will need to be jetted either way but will it be a lot worse than the stock carb? The carb on the bike looks a little beat and this new one looks a lot cleaner since it doesnt have the hotstart hoses and the extra stuff on it. It actually starts a lot easier when its hot anyway. Any suggestions? Thanks...

20120922_110237_zps127e209a.jpg

20120921_133604_zpsd53c696c.jpg20120921_132434_zps15fd6f03.jpg

Edited by jawknee21

It is definetly an FCR could be second or third generation. Must be off a KTM or a Honda guessing by the absense of a float bowl drain screw. you need to remove the float bowl and see if it has a "Leak Jet" om the accelerator pump circut. That will tell you if it is a thrid generation. Either way it will be a great carb for the DRZ. as long as you have the matching intake manifold. It looks like that card has had some work done at least a lot of aftermarket parts thrown at it.

Thanks for the replys. I already have my eye on a different carb for my drz. I have 2 DRZs actually. The big bore one has the FCRMX that is made for the drz and the other one is this carb. Im planning on buying another FCRMX and this one is going on the wr or getting sold. Probably getting sold so i can buy the other carb. I'll post a picture with the float bowl off...

A popular modification for the DRZ's was to add a FCR carb to them. This is one of them. It will mount up to the WR, and with a little re-jetting, will provide a slight improvement in performance, since it already comes with a few aftermarket items.

so the wr can handle not having hotstart or any of the rest of that stuff? His wr is already getting a racing idle once it warms up but it will go back down. It fluctuates randomly. I figured this carb would be a little less touchy...

Typically, you don't have to re-jet very often, if at all, for fourstrokes. Since there bathed in oil, the chance of siezing an engine is extremely rare. I re-jet mine all the time because I love my machines to run at there peak, and I'm always tinkering with them all the time anyhow. I spend more time in the garage than in the house!!! ?

• Like 1