Sign in to follow this  

California redrock canyon ? or Dove springs?

going to take the kids to the Dessert, been to Dove springs a few times. is Redrock any good ? any ideas ? thanks

Dove springs and jawbone was the place to go back in the day, but with all the closures not so much now a days. Cal-City is not to far from their and it's kid friendly look it up on the map, or you might already know of that place. :thumbsup:

Redrock is real limited riding. I'd ride through and check it out with a base camp in Dove. It is amazing. But doesn't stage well.and cactus huggers are real sensitive to our presence. I do like Ricardo Campground but feel like I am out of place when camping there. Only do it when by myself. If you camp at Dove as close to highway as possible you can ride the kids back across the highway into Redrock to the south and see some real purdy canyons and hills. :thumbsup:

Red rock canyon is a state park. You need to hold a valid drivers license to ride a dirt bike there.

Red rock canyon is a state park. You need to hold a valid drivers license to ride a dirt bike there.

Are you sure... they have made allowances for green sticker on the trails/roads there. And familys with ATVs and kids roll through there often.

Ocotillo Wells and Gorman are State Parks as well. Green sticker allowed... age restrictions not in force other than you have to be with a guardian and fit the vehicle... yada yada.

If you haven't spoken with the Rangers that run Redrock I'd call to verify.

Gorman and Ocotillo are SVRA's. Red Rock is not. ATV's are OK as long as you have some stupid safety certificate for 12 and over. Two-wheeled vehicles need to have a valid license.

Use to camp with the family at Ricardo to escape the ass-hats in Dove. Got the same lecture twice from different rangers re: my daughter on her PW50...

That was the end of Ricardo for me...

• Like 1

Gorman and Ocotillo are SVRA's. Red Rock is not. ATV's are OK as long as you have some stupid safety certificate for 12 and over. Two-wheeled vehicles need to have a valid license.

Use to camp with the family at Ricardo to escape the ass-hats in Dove. Got the same lecture twice from different rangers re: my daughter on her PW50...

That was the end of Ricardo for me...

They really don't like OHVs in Ricardo. I still think you would be safe to roll the family through the park if camping elsewhere. But a phone call to get the current SOP would be wise. State Parks can decide to allow green sticker or not. But they can't just make up their own rules. Not legally anyway.

Actually the rangers I've run into at Ricardo have been pretty cool. We were always pretty low-key (not riding around camp etc...), but they still had to read me the rules.

I agree though. Call first- things change...

I am kind of stumped. I got a map from some huggers out at the Husky recently and it was the FOJ map that shows all the trails are still open, the trails that I rode for many years. Did they just give me some old piece of junk or are the trails still open? That place is so confusing to me that I never go there anymore.

The FOJ map gets updated every year. Pick up a new one cause they do drop trails off the map if there is any doubt they will be closed. If you are riding a trail on a current FOJ map thats the best you can do to be cactus hugger friendly.

If I recall correctly, Red Rock park is a state run park, there is really no legal camping

out of the bounds of Ricardo inside the park itself , And if you do find a good place to camp in the park,

you are subject to fee collection, or you may be asked to re locate to a BLM or other legal

area to camp. We are going to really have to put up a fight to keep access to what we have

in the park itself, I fear we will lose green sticker access and street plates will be the only

access left if they ever finish up with the plan there.

If you have kids and want to turn them loose around your camp on bikes and Quads,

Suggest Cal City, Spangler or one of the other open areas.

We used to camp near the red cliffs off 14 when I was a kid, and it was legal to ride the wash

to Cantil, and the trail that follows west side of 14 to J-Bone store is now completely rehabbed to barley

recognizable.

• Like 1

Just got back from dove springs from a four day trip... worst place I've ridden yet. There were sooooooo many rangers and sherrifs, people getting hit by full size buggies and dudes jamming down the main road we were on (sc103 ). Not good fo kids at all...

Not that im racist but there at least a dozen mexican flags flying... half my camp was mexican and are great people but it kind of erked me to see that

It's kinda what you should expect at any over managed OHV area on TDay the largest off roading weekend of the year. 25 miles to the east on the other end of the Valley is far less managed so far... and you can get lost (in a good way) with your family.

It's crazy crowded during Thanksgiving weekend. Went through there from the redrock area back in 2008 during thanksgiving weekend. It was a madhouse. just the short time we cruised through, there was a medivac and a few collisions. alot of goobs get tunnel vision and think they are alone in the crowded desert. slammin into others and riding crazy. some try to protect their kids by coning, marking off an area. but you still get those that disregard that and run right through camp.

Best to go elsewhere for a crowded holiday weekend.

It's kinda what you should expect at any over managed OHV area on TDay the largest off roading weekend of the year. 25 miles to the east on the other end of the Valley is far less managed so far... and you can get lost (in a good way) with your family.

Come on Jeff, don't give away the few spots that are left. :p

Dove Springs has sucked for the last 8 years or more when it comes to Thanksgiving Weekends. I have seen sheriff helicopters flying in search of bozos riding where they should not be riding, command posts in the bowl that look like something out of Iraq, massive amounts of stupid people riding like they are drunken fools because they are, check points to inspect your registration and license and the list goes on. I have not been back to that area in over 3 years just because of the crazy stuff going on there. It used to be one of my favorite places to go since I have been going there for well over 30 years but not any more. Too many idiots make for a bad thing.

• Like 1

wish I'd of know that before I wasred my time off...