Sign in to follow this  

stupid jetting question

When trying to start my 05 cold, it only starts with the choke off. It doesnt matter if its 30* or 80* outside. If its warm it will start 1st or 2nd kick. When its cold outside it may take 5-6 kicks. That would make me think its running too rich, but when I turn the fuel screw on the carb 1/4-1/3 turn to lean it out, it pops alot on decelleration and the header pipe glows red after about 10 seconds of idling. Like its running too lean. Once its started I can pull the choke and it will run and warm up with the choke on, just wont start like that. Once its warm it starts first kick all day long. Valves are in spec, has new spark plug. I checked the pilot jet, its a 42 and I made sure it wasnt plugged up. What should I look for?

Id check to make sure the starter jet hasnt fallen out. There's a jet on that "choke" circuit. All that plunger does is open another circuit in the carb that pulls right off the bowl. If it gets entirely too rich to start when cold, you certainly dont need a bigger pilot jet. Assuming you can get it to stop popping on decel with the fuel screw thats another indicator that you dont need a bigger pilot.