Sign in to follow this  

Water pump issue

I have a 2005 Crf 450 that leaks water out of the water pump when I start it up. Once it warms it stops leaking. The water pump seal and shaft have less than 15 hrs on them. What is wrong.

does it matter? put two new seals and a bearing in it and call it good! also get a new radiator cap

what is the chance you have the seal in backwards? the flat side of the wp seal goes toward the motor, if you don't pay attention to how the old one was, you will likely assume it goes in backwards. but yea, pretty odd that with a new shaft and seals it's leaking, especially since it stops when warmed up..

I followed thread on here last time about putting the seal in correctly. So it should be in correct

Counter balancer bearings!!! The counter balancer shaft drives the water pump, and if those bearings have any small amount of play in them?? It will cause brand new waterpump seals to leak. Even with new water pump bearings etc..

My 05 does the same thing. Just started doing it, and only when I first started it so I just replaced the WP seal, not the oil seal or shaft/bearing. It didnt leak at all for another 4-5 hours of riding now its starting to do it again, just not as bad. I will be replacing the shaft/bearing and both seals this time.

Trust me do the Balancer shaft bearings while you have it apart! You do have to pull the left case cover off! But its not really that hard of a job.. And it will prevent premature water pump seal failures!

• Like 1