Sign in to follow this  

Why did you buy a dual-sport?

:applause: First off great question glad you asked!

Did you buy it for gas economy? Hell yeah! And it's fun to ride around!!

Do you commute with it? No. I bounce mine off big rocks and sandy washes. Sometimes I go to the spa with it though.

Did you buy it only to ride to off road areas? No, I just frickin' love the idea of riding from your door to wherever. That has always appealed to me. The first year I had the 2nd DS I've owned, we went to the dunes, kind of weird being the only bike out there with a plate and blinkers!

Do you consider yourself an experienced rider? How many years? I think it's been almost 6 but it's felt like forever. Only wish I would have discovered the bike world sooner. I'm like totally experienced...at going too fast and having fun times

Do you consider it safer than a full street bike? I don't know, never thrown my leg over a big street bike. They look scary as hell. Going 0 to 100 in under 4 seconds doesn't sound like something I need to be doing, even though dammit that would be awesome... :crazy:

My bike will barely do 100 MPH, but it will do 65 or 70 all day long. (on a gravel road)

Why do I ride a dual sport? In Central Texas, there is no free riding except what you can find off the radar. The 3 pics below are riding areas that me and my guys have developed and the 3 areas are 10 miles or more apart from each other, we can connect them being street legal.

UDSmar2013j_zps72fa6fd8.jpg

UDSmar2013q_zps4eb33f16.jpg

UDSmar2013o_zps6f13b356.jpg

• Like 2

Why do I ride a dual sport? In Central Texas, there is no free riding except what you can find off the radar. The 3 pics below are riding areas that me and my guys have developed and the 3 areas are 10 miles or more apart from each other, we can connect them being street legal.

UDSmar2013j_zps72fa6fd8.jpg

UDSmar2013q_zps4eb33f16.jpg

UDSmar2013o_zps6f13b356.jpg

Where in Texas are you from? I'm in the panhandle near Amarillo.

1364756269251.jpg

Not for fuel economy... not even a little :p

I commute with it when it's nice out

I have a YZ and a PW for riding only-offroad my DS's are mostly pavement princesses

15 years on dirt bikes, 4 years with my license. I'm experienced off road but very new to riding on the street.

I think the geometry is more forgiving than a cruiser or a sport bike, so yes, I'd say somewhat safer.

Did you buy it for gas economy? No, I wanted to have a bike so I could ride with my daughter. Also I'm 6-8, I don't fit on many bikes, but with a thicker aftermarket seat, my KLR650 fits well.

Do you commute with it? Yes, as often as I can.

Did you buy it only to ride to off road areas? Not to much, on some dirt roads.

Do you consider yourself an experienced rider? How many years? Use to be, hadn't ridden in a number of years.

Do you consider it safer than a full street bike? Much lighter and more nimble than most cruisers.

I bought my dual sport because i got the sudden bug to get back into trail riding but i needed something i could commute to and from work on. 44-45 MPG riding it hard and having a blast. It would be nice if it had more power and possibly a 6th gear but i got to remind myself that its a dirtbike with a tag and blinkers

Gas economy - no

Commute - no....I work in construction

Did I buy it to ride to off road areas- no, bought it to be able to hop on a bike and go....went with the dual sport after 35 yrs of riding motocross. I did not feel comfortable on a heavy/fast street bike

Experienced - yes, 35 years

Safer than street bike- I have only had mine one day. But for me personally it is yes. I like the lightweight and the ability to make a quick maneuver and moto through someone's yard if a car pulls in front of me.

I have one mostly because I want to get from my house to the trails the easiest way possible.

Did you buy it for gas economy? No

Do you commute with it? No

Did you buy it only to ride to off road areas? No. I use it approximately 50-50 on-road and off-road.

Do you consider yourself an experienced rider? 35 years ago, yes. Now, no. Haven't ridden in 35 years except for last 2 years. Got older and rusty. Main problem now is slowed reflexes and judgment due to ant-depressant medication I'm on.

How many years? 3 years, 35 years ago. 2 years since then.

Do you consider it safer than a full street bike? On street, no. On dirt, yes.

Just as I Thought Mr. "Koolaid", you puff your chest, take the first punch and go cower behind TT rules and moderators. You are a whiney, cowardly little greasy troll. Just because you paid the TT tuition does not give your opinions credibility.Thank you Ud_luz for telling this weasel the truth. The saddest part is he doesn't even realize he is a troll. I am not trying to troll this, I just wanted my say before they closed the thread but I was too late. I just hope that people who read Mr. "koolaid"s posts take it with a grain of salt. No, a ten pound bag of salt. He has absolutely no credibility. 

Edited by pterry

I've been reading motorcycle articles for a research proposal paper. I would like to ask a few questions and have a moment of your time.

Did you buy it for gas economy?

Do you commute with it?

Did you buy it only to ride to off road areas?

Do you consider yourself an experienced rider? How many years?

Do you consider it safer than a full street bike?

I'll go first:

No. Mostly for recreation.

No. Maybe once a week or 3 times a month but not a regular basis.

No. Sometimes I trailer it to the desert.but I do small trips on the street around town. I live in a populated area and there are areas nearby that I could get a decent ride in without trailering my bike there. California laws are getting strict and a plate opens up more areas for me to ride.

Yes. About 20 years

No, I think they are about the same safety level.

Thank you TTer's. I appreciate your time and information.

-NO, ever want to make that left turn and had an island in the middle of the street? Not an issue with a dual sport

-NO, weekend use only

-NO, just putt around town and throw it in the back of the pickup to riding area

-YES 20+years

-NO due to the knobbies but still way more fun than a street bike. Street bikes can go fast but I can go anywhere

Did you buy it for gas economy?
No.  Bought it for the fun of riding both on and off roads.

Do you commute with it?
Have at times but it's so depressing to be going to work instead of heading into the mountains.

Did you buy it only to ride to off road areas?
No.  I wanted a bike that I could ride around town, at the local track and for exploring the county and mountian back roads.

Do you consider yourself an experienced rider? How many years?
Yes.  25+ years.  Trail rode for over 20 years and raced motocross for 6 years ending up as a 125 A rider.

Do you consider it safer than a full street bike?
No.  I do feel more comfortable with it since it's a lot like the off-road and motocross bikes that I've ridden over the years.

:ride:

Mine is a tad more complicated as I didn't buy my DRZ as a dual sport. It's a dirt only model I bought new in 2000. I rode it dirt only for 3-4 years with a riding buddy until he got married and "retired" from weekend rides. That and trails closing near me, area getting built up, open trails not being worth trailering to, and the bike not getting used much resulted in a dual sport conversion in 2005.

Did you buy it for gas economy? - Not the original reason for conversion but I appreciate it now.

Do you commute with it? - On nice days

Did you buy it only to ride to off road areas? - Kind of. I'll ride it to short local trails now and again and trailer it to longer trails a couple hours away.

Do you consider yourself an experienced rider? How many years? - Experienced? Yes I've been riding since I was a kid and I'm in my 40's now. Good? not so much.

Do you consider it safer than a full street bike? - I have a street bike as well. I rarely if ever take the DRZ on the highway. The street bike is the way to go for me there. Around town I prefer the dual sport even with full knobbies. Traffic around here is bad in the summer. Many clueless drivers and I can and have taken lines to avoid accidents that may not have worked out so well on a sport bike.