private mx track?

hi TT users

i have a flat 11 acre property 20 mins from my house. the property has a pond in the middle of it.

i am wanting to build an mx track on there, What equipment/excavators will i need to hire. how will i go about constructing the berms, whoops, table tops and jumps. And how can i keep out unwanted riders. How much dirt will i need?

i would be great if any ones knows track designers and cheap dirt and machine hires. (Dont have much $$ to spend so free or cheap dirt and equipment would be GREAT :D)

i am in Brisbane, qld, Australia. Any quarries i can phone to dump free dirt

If the land is flat, everything could be done with a bulldozer. For starters I would just push and pile the dirt you have. My track is pretty small, but i've been able to push and pile enough dirt for a lot of jumps and a few whoops sections. If you don't have a pile of cash to throw at it then this is the best/cheapest method.

go to your craigslist aussie equivalent - free advertising posts - and search for free feel dirt - or just go around local construstion sites before they start the project..

many times when they start construction they need a place to dump the dirt for free

you can also post a free fill dirt ad and the location and then let people come and dump, but that can get out of hand.

most of the time they just move the dirt around the only issue with this is if it rains then you need to have drainage or the places they dig out just fill with water.

the other option is to dig out the pond and make it bigger and take that dirt

Go to a local track and walk it and take measurements, just a simple walk about with a video running will get you the general layout of a circuit

as far as equipment a front end loader is what you need as you need to pick up the dirt and move it vs a dozer, which just pushes dirt around.

no way to keep people off unless you put a 12 foot fence around the property...we have the same problem with our atv place, there is a gate but you can ride 100 feet down the road and cut into the property....

you can make it hard for people to park and then ride, but any local that can just ride up you will never be able to keep off.

maybe put a trailer out there and have someone live on the property...

Build it and they will come

Build it and they will come

I think thats the biggest problem with having your own track. keeping "unwanteds" off. Not sure it's the same in other countries but if you don't at least try to keep people out, you still could be held liable for injuries - even if they had no permission to be there. Rediculous but true. Could you afford a fence around it? If it was in the US and anywhere near large metro area, you would probably find 20 year old cars sitting on the track, not driveable, from idiots trying to do the jumps with dads old Buick. There have been a couple of threads about owning your own track and the got very detailed as far as legal requirements, zoning, noise, liability. See if you can find those.

IMO, you should hire a bulldozer to push the dirt around and make lots of big piles of it, but you should buy your own front end loader style tractor, to make your own jumps. The reasoning behind this is once you ride the track a few times, you will want to go back and groom it, so having a tractor there at your disposal is a VERY good idea.

ditch the idea and save your money. too much work and cash is needed. a lot more than you think goes into it and it will keep needing more and more.

Samras is right, it's a lot of work and it's expensive. Even just maintaining a track takes a lot. They closed a section of a local track by me when they re-did the layout a few weeks ago, but by looking at all the rain-ruts in the jump faces it looks like it's been un-ridden for years. My friend has a track and the only time it has really good conditions is when he rips/waters a good few hours the night before, then in the morning spends a few hours grooming the rest. The rest of the time it's powdery/dusty/slippery/etc.

need a dozer, a loader and probably a bobcat with tracks just to build it fo sho, not including maintenance if you want a legit looking track. and a fence or a 12ga should keep the people away

I live in a generally rural era, except for the neighborhoods and some farmhouses. It's in the country but its a developed nighborhood with a few neighborhoods around it. Its suburban but its rich. So theres not alot of places to ride. I was thinking about asking one of farmers around here who have a lot of land if I could pay them to ride in their open land and build a track. or mow their grass for them or something(i'm 16) kinda informal but I would want to actually build a track not just ride. Does this sound like a good idea? I could get some dirt brought in for free and my friend has a bobcat.

Never hurts to ask. Worst he can say is no. Just be respectful either way.

I live in a generally rural era, except for the neighborhoods and some farmhouses. It's in the country but its a developed nighborhood with a few neighborhoods around it. Its suburban but its rich. So theres not alot of places to ride. I was thinking about asking one of farmers around here who have a lot of land if I could pay them to ride in their open land and build a track. or mow their grass for them or something(i'm 16) kinda informal but I would want to actually build a track not just ride. Does this sound like a good idea? I could get some dirt brought in for free and my friend has a bobcat.

I did this w/ hunting back when I was in high school & wanted a place to bow hunt in the evenings after school close to home. I got told "no," ALOT. Just ask. Offer to help out around the place, run errands for em etc BUT some people get weirded out w/ other people on their property for liability reasons. Hell, I don't blame em these days. (several yrs ago my parents had a neighbor who was being sued because a local kid was trespassing & walking thru the land owners creek & broke his leg & for some reason his parents thought it was the land owners fault even though the kid was trespassing = using it for a shortcut.) You might have to do what I did w/ a couple people = write up something stating you are riding on their property & will not hold the land owner responsible if you get hurt & that it will be you & YOU ONLY riding. You sign it, have the land owner sign it & you keep a copy & give a copy to the land owner. Probably wouldn't even be a bad idea 2 have a friend record it on a phone or camera & download it to a computer for a "just in case." ALSO, if you do get the green light to ride, remember DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU! Good luck & post pics when you finish the track! Happy riding

Edited by stevekx500

If its farm land that you are wanting to build a track on I doubt you will get permission. Every acre less a farmer has is less money in his pocket. Like others have said, it doesn't hurt to ask, just don't get your hopes up and be respectful.

Let us know how it goes!

Your neighbors from the distance will bitch and it will be put to a stop in a heartbeat.

If its farm land that you are wanting to build a track on I doubt you will get permission. Every acre less a farmer has is less money in his pocket. Like others have said, it doesn't hurt to ask, just don't get your hopes up and be respectful.

I mean its not actually farmland being farmed, its just fields.

Your best bet honestly is looking for a wooded area next to a field.....Then, knock some trees down and make a track in the woods where the farmer can't farm. If you get a track be sure to post pics in the "Lets See Your Backyard Tracks!" Forum.

I mean its not actually farmland being farmed, its just fields.

I have a friend who is a farmer and has land close to my house. He is a close personal friend that I have known for 10 years or so. There is the perfect place for a track in one of his fields and as luck would have it he doesn't farm this particular 6 acre+ - portion. It has a valley in the middle that would be perfect for a motocross track. I have built barns for him, finished a loft and some other projects to help him out and in exchange I would be allowed to hunt his property. I never go hunting anymore so I thought I'd offer some cash to use this portion of his property for a track. It's in one of his hay fields so he determined the potential yield (best case scenario) on 3 to 4 hay cuttings in a year and computed it at last years prices (very high). It would have cost me 1200 bucks + - to use the property plus the outlay to build the track.

Like mentioned above, to a farmer land = money wether it's currently planted or not.

Take that money and buy a trailer and go to the track that is closest to your house imo. I'm not sure where you are in MI but there are quite a few tracks and with the money and time you'll invest building a track could be spent riding/wrenching. I'd still ask if you can ride, I bet they will let you ride way before they will let you build a track. If you are not familiar with any local tracks pm me and let me know where your at and I can try to help you find one around you.

I have a friend who is a farmer and has land close to my house. He is a close personal friend that I have known for 10 years or so. There is the perfect place for a track in one of his fields and as luck would have it he doesn't farm this particular 6 acre+ - portion. It has a valley in the middle that would be perfect for a motocross track. I have built barns for him, finished a loft and some other projects to help him out and in exchange I would be allowed to hunt his property. I never go hunting anymore so I thought I'd offer some cash to use this portion of his property for a track. It's in one of his hay fields so he determined the potential yield (best case scenario) on 3 to 4 hay cuttings in a year and computed it at last years prices (very high). It would have cost me 1200 bucks + - to use the property plus the outlay to build the track.

Like mentioned above, to a farmer land = money wether it's currently planted or not.

Take that money and buy a trailer and go to the track that is closest to your house imo. I'm not sure where you are in MI but there are quite a few tracks and with the money and time you'll invest building a track could be spent riding/wrenching. I'd still ask if you can ride, I bet they will let you ride way before they will let you build a track. If you are not familiar with any local tracks pm me and let me know where your at and I can try to help you find one around you.

I mean I'm not talking about baja but Maybe a jump or two and some turns, and rough rollers or something for good practice. It's just all the tracks are fairly far and I have a small track now but its really just rollers and turns and I practice almost every day and its helped so much. If I had some more difficult shit I could get even better.

due to lack of space and the same issue, my track is getting revamped. taller jumps, steeper shit etc. bigger air, slower pace is the plan.

You need to get out and ask. Unfortunately this is not a farming forum and we are not the farmers so we do not know what they could be thinking. They could say yes and they could tell you to never come back. But just like Poldies4 said, land is money to a farmer. A particular field may not be in use one year because they are letting it rest or they just didn't have time to plant anything in it. They also have the right to just tell you No because they don't want you there. You have to keep in mind that there are always liability issues and you can't fault them for that. Also, it isn't very common for a property owner to let a stranger onto their property to build their own MX track.

Now there is some good news to this...more often than not, the farmers do not actually own the property. The owner of the property leases certain areas of said property to the farmer. So you can always ask the farmer if they own the property, and if the don't, you can find out who the actual owner is and try asking them.

If nothing else, get some friends together and break out the shovels and work on the little spot that you have already. That little spot is more than most people have for a place to ride! Either that or pack up and hit the closest track.