205lbs. Will a CRF250L do 65 comfortably or will it be stressing it?

I am REALLY interested in this bike, its just SUCH a bargain and the MPG is epic. I am worried that doing 65-70 with my (somewhat) fat ass on the bike is going to be stressing the bike badly.

What do you guys think? (really looking for feedback from guys that own one or have ridden one)

Yes, it will move 205lbs at 65 or 70 comfortably...no stress on the bike. Actually I doubt it has the capacity to be stressed...the injector quits letting in more fuel well before it hits critical engine speed.

It tops out at 77mph with my 235lb body on it and sounds just fine at that speed.

If you still want passing power at 65, keep looking. Your done passing at 55mph.

It's an excellent bike if your gas conscience and are not looking to impress anyone. Can't beat the price anywhere.

• Like 3

What about if I add some power with this?

http://bestdualsportbikes.com/products-page/performance-products/crf250l-stage-i-performance-kit/

From what I read it takes the bike from around 18whp to around 22whp. Would that net me that passing power at 65?

It hauling you at 77, being 30lbs heavier, that really makes me happy and sways me towards this bike. If adding that extra power really makes as much of a difference as I have read, I think this is the bike for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it will move 205lbs at 65 or 70 comfortably...no stress on the bike. Actually I doubt it has the capacity to be stressed...the injector quits letting in more fuel well before it hits critical engine speed.

It tops out at 77mph with my 235lb body on it and sounds just fine at that speed.

If you still want passing power at 65, keep looking. Your done passing at 55mph.

It's an excellent bike if your gas conscience and are not looking to impress anyone. Can't beat the price anywhere.

60mph is about the max comfortable speed. At speeds above that it can hardly get out of it's own way..... 77mph is with a pinned throttle on level ground, hit a hill and watch the speed fall.

If riding with the throttle almost pinned to maintain speed on level ground at 65 or 70 comfortable, and causes no stress on the bike, you are clueless...

With a 250# rider 68mph was the top speed it could reach in a 1/2 mile. That means you'll need about a quarter mile gap between cars to keep them from running you down when you pull into traffic going those speeds...

It will take more the 5hp to make comfortably ride at those speeds.

Below 60mph it's a decent urban dualsport bike.

60mph is about the max comfortable speed. At speeds above that it can hardly get out of it's own way..... 77mph is with a pinned throttle on level ground, hit a hill and watch the speed fall.

If riding with the throttle almost pinned to maintain speed on level ground at 65 or 70 comfortable, and causes no stress on the bike, you are clueless...

With a 250# rider 68mph was the top speed it could reach in a 1/2 mile. That means you'll need about a quarter mile gap between cars to keep them from running you down when you pull into traffic going those speeds...

It will take more the 5hp to make comfortably ride at those speeds.

Below 60mph it's a decent urban dualsport bike.

Yup, the bike was never intended to be a freeway commuter but more of a urban assault bike.....If I was just going back and forth to work and it was under 20miles it would probably be a excellent bike but anything faster or farther then that, no way!

• 4 months later...

I weigh 215lbs and mine carries me just fine at 65mph. The bike feels happy at 60-65 (all stock). Any faster and the wind turns that front fender into a sail IMO.

If you guys think this is bad you've clearly never owned an '86 Honda Rebel! :ride:

• Like 2

65-70 with you on it will be fine, no problem at all.

I'm 180 (this week) but always carry a 20-25lb pack with me for work. My bike (with some simple bolt on mods) pulls me well up to 70-75, after that it is a bit slower to reach it's max of 82 on the flat or high 70's on hills. I run at about 65-68 99% of the time myself. The bike seems to run better and better the more miles I put on it and I'm getting in the 60's for real world mpg currently.

My dealer allows test rides so check around to see if one near you does, best way to tell if it will fit your needs and expectations.

?

• Like 1

I think you stepped in it again Buddy .....?

No. I meant exactly what I said.

That was exactly my point. If Foxbrook can pin it on the highway, then I don't want to hear sh1t like "you can't ride this bike on the freeway" from someone that claims to be a man and rides bikes.

The crf250l is a much nicer bike on the freeway than a DRZ400, in fact the crf250l is the smoothest thumper I have ever ridden.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 3

Should have filled one in for laughs. Hahaha

EDIT: Correction. If someone is pissin you off at work, fill one in but put the other guys name on it, and then take the form to your boss and say, "someone has raised a complaint against me boss, here is the form".?

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 2

hate to post these pictures again, but so you can see, i am 5'10" 190lbs on a good day... i commute 43 miles each way to work... i get about 60 mpg and i am running 60+ mph half of the time... be it posted or not... lol but i also carry a big bag and under that bag is a rotopax box... add the tank bag and i all my gear and you got quite a bit of weight... i use to commute on a 93 klr250... that baby would chug down low, but is light years away from the crf250l... i still have the stock seat and am running stock gears with stock exhaust... she is stock i tell you... lol besides some skids, and guards, and racks, and bags.... anyways, she does well at 65.... i go up bridges and still can accelerate... the wind is the hardest against the speed... that being said, she is a great bike...

IMG_20130407_133933_421.jpg

IMG_20130407_180205_203.jpg

• Like 5