My "new" CR 125 AFS (Aluminium framed, Mugen powered...)

How did you order the graphic kit with it just saying CR on the raditor shroud like that? The ebay link you gave says it is for the CRF in the item details, well my friend is building right now AFS 250 and would love to have those graphics long as it said CR like yours do.

How did you order the graphic kit with it just saying CR on the raditor shroud like that? The ebay link you gave says it is for the CRF in the item details, well my friend is building right now AFS 250 and would love to have those graphics long as it said CR like yours do.

You're right.The graphics i have are custom made but still very close to the ones in the Ebay-link. I would have to ask the italian vendor where he had them made.

Edited by nino

Ok-guys, a couple of weeks later and some more goodies went on the bike:

Keihin 38mm PWK Air Striker carburetor

Boyesed RAD Valve

Mugen Cylinder and head from '91

HPP valves from '98

Complete HRC ignition,stator and flywheel from '91

New billet clutch hub and new, hard coated aluminium discs

Hydraulic Magura clutch

Braking Batfly oversize brake-kit in the front, Batfly replacement rotor in the rear

Poletti suspension front and rear with TPS (tube pressure system) and DLC coated stanchions

I just went for a first ride over the weekend. But the place we went was deep, heavy sand somewhere in Alsace/F (just across the border from Switzerland). This way it was hard to adjust the bike to my likings as usually we have medium hard to hardpack terrain in Switzerland. But the motor rips !! The chassis still needs some adjusting especially the rear sits too high. A well known issue of those '09 CRF frames. A Billet Pro Circuit linkage is already on order which should help bring the rear down. The way it was i suffered in the deep sand with the front end always knifing in corners. The motor rips and is holding up well. In the deep sand it had to work hard and it didn't show any weakness so far. I went there with a frend of mine who owns a 2012 Service Honda 125 with fully modded '99 engine. They didn't leave a part untouched in there. My bike was at least as fast if not faster especially on top. I needed to change the rear chaninring as with the standard 51 the gearing felt too short. As i already did with my older Mugen-equipped bikes i put a 49 on and now the engine has more "room". It revs up so high that you really can let it sing rather than having to shift all the time. It needs a little clutch exiting corners but it saves you about 50% shifting!

The bike is really light. I will have to measure it again after it's competely finished but already from the beginning it sat at just 93 kilos (205 lbs). Removing of the Mikuni TPS carb saved over 200g, the ignition and especially the flywheel saved another 90g (the 550g 2006 flywheel is extremely heavy compared to older counterparts). Also the hydraulic cluch assembly is lighter than the lever and cable of the standard bike. Only the Batfly rotors added some weight again. We will see if i even invest in a carbon tank and integrated carbon subframe/airbox as i have very good connections to the italian company that does such stuff for GP-teams over here in europe. Those parts besides looking good, offering more volume (needed with a high revving 2-stroke) and better rigidity they also save over 1,5 kilos of weight (over 4 lbs) high up on the bike.

Anyway - here's a video of the bike on the stand as it is right now:

Edited by nino
  • Like 2

I got it though a friend of mine.I don't see any difference in clutch actuation from any CR 125 from '87-'07

I had a KTM 350 last year and just got accustomed to that hydraulic clutch. 1 finger is all that's needed all the time.No more dirty cables, no more cleaning and greasing...the clutch actuation always remains constant and super smooth.In one word - Awesome!!!

The lever is foldable and you can also adjust the clutch engagement on the red dial.

8326369728_cd349a5122.jpg

Compare to the standard assembly with lever and cable:

8325310883_e4c39f1b93.jpg

Edited by nino

Ok-a couple of weeks passed and i had several rides in between and changed around quite a bit.

As is i am using a Mototassinari VForce3, finally have the 38mm Airstriker carb dialed in and also sorted out the exhaust: A '99 Pro Circuit mated to a italian DLR carbon silencer is my favourite combo:

I had a couple of pipes to try out

Stock Honda 98

Stock Hondas '93

Messico GP3 '98

FMF Fatty 2001

FMF Fatty '97

DEP

SPES

Pro Circuit '99

8396347376_a92b44c17f_z.jpg

I also installed a modified HPP governor where i added two washers to add some more preload...this retards the opening of the HPP which was a big help to get rid of a slight bog down low...with the bigger 38mm carburetors the air velocity at low revs is a problem so keeping the exhaust valves closed a little longer really helped the powercurve.

Here's that governor with the added washers right next to the spring:

8466428873_621a91112b_z.jpg

And here's where that governor is located. Yes - you need to take off the right side case to install it.

8525336080_50ebefb308_z.jpg

I also experimented with the gearing and finally went with 12/48 for a slightly shorter setup than the standard 13/51. The smaller chainring and cog and the slightly shorter chain saved 100g in unsprung weight.

8484825711_16ab083286_z.jpg

Chassis and suspension are awesome after i installed a Pro Circuit lower linkage. Instead of the standard 144mm lenght this now measures 146mm which brings the rear down by 10mm. What a difference!! The nose dive feeling is gone.The bike is now really balanced and won't shake it's head as bad anymore.

8399979879_2d726c1d4f_z.jpg

Some weight savings as well as improving performance...CRFsOnly titanium footpegs: exactly half the weight of the stock steel ones and what a nice platform !!

8404600931_64916c800f_z.jpg

Stock:

8405695110_b5361076da_z.jpg

CRFsOnly Titanium:

8405694946_30d464b955_z.jpg

My next upgrade will be to swap motors: i have a '99 engine out of a CR 125 i bought for just 500$. IThe motor had a seizure and the rest of the bike was really used up but anyway - there's a lot of spares on such a bike and the motor is done with a couple of bucks....so i am just now overhauling it completely. I will put new bearings and seals as well as a perfectly balanced crank. And to top it off i will install a '90 Mugen cylinder where i already modified the transfer ports to fit the slightly wider cases of the '99 engine:

8495092941_212bcc5de5_z.jpg

1990 Mugen cylinder which needed some modifications to the transfer ports to fit onto the slightly wider cases of the '99 engine...this cylinder needed new Nicasil anyway so i did the porting job before sending it in:

8524513360_a4fce76a36_z.jpg

And i should soon get a modified Mugen head whith a dome insert. I had this Mugen head which was supposed to fit older years with round pistons but my '90/'91 cylinders ask for flat pistons...so instead of selling it and looking for the correct one which would have cost me a fortune (if ever i could find one...!) i went ahead and had it machined to make it a domed-head. Now i have a Mugen head that fits and can be changed around later on. (Mugen heads have 6 bolts instead of the standard heads that come with 5-bolts!). So you need a Mugen head on a Mugen cylinder:

8436937839_b6154029ec_z.jpg

8419266543_c16991699d_z.jpg

Next in line was a new clutch as the parts that were mounted were pretty much used up...new billet clutch basket, billet hub, stiffer springs, hard coated aluminium discs...all paired to the Magura hydraulic clutch lever:)

8428282940_b4bdc3a9f8_z.jpg

8427196027_8ac622c35e_z.jpg

A couple of laps in Italy about a month ago but the carburetion was still way off due also to very cold temperatures just around the freezing point.The ground was still frozen and only outsides could be taken:

And here's a couple of laps of the other day on a very hard and slippery track overe here in Switzerland (lots of loose stones on top):

There's always young guys coming over in the pits looking for that screaming bike...when they hear that the cylinder is 22 years old they can't believe it :) Good also that while riding they can't see my grey hair...such an old guy is a strange fit on such a screaming bike....

8485917794_5a008a9bfa_z.jpg

Edited by nino
  • Like 8

Well I don't think I even need to tell you how awesome your bike is and how talented you are but I will anyways. I love seeing someone with passion and the knowledge to make this kind of stuff happen. You are truly talented. Now with all that said, I am going to be that guy that has to ask a question completely off topic. Where did you get that kick starter? Something so simple as a kick starter is something that it seems even Honda overlooks. The one on my 06 cr 250 is so small on the end and the one on my old 01 cr 125 was even worse. With muddy boots it is very easy to slip off and then spend the next 5 minutes cursing at yourself. I am guessing that you made that one yourself?

Where did you get that kick starter?..... I am guessing that you made that one yourself?

As written i bought the bike in Italy and from what i was told the kickstarter is off a 250 CRF. Initially i thought it is too big and tried replacing it with a stock 125 kickstarter but the weight is equal yet the 125 kick stands out more than the one that is mounted which tucks in nicely. So in the end i preferred the longer one that came mounted.

125 kickstarter off a CR 125 98/99:

8570237759_43be64f328_z.jpg

Top view:

8571332044_b1df721df0_z.jpg

Top view of the longer 250F kickstarter which fits the 125 engine yet it is tucked in nicely on the narrower CRF chassis:

8570238141_a687738022_z.jpg

Edited by nino

I just had my 1st race of the year using my 125 AF. I raced against 250/450 4-strokes on loamy soil. A small course over here in Zurich/Switzerland. Just one week ago there was still some snow and right now we do have snow again...that race was kind of a season opener for the german part of Switzerland.

I got 2nd in the timed practice, just 0,15 seconds behind the leader. I finished 3rd & 2nd in the races later on.

I am having biiiig fun on my 125 and couldn't ask for more;)

Here's a couple of laps of timed practice early in the morning. Temperature was just 3 degrees celsius (37 fahrenheit) and the soil was still very slippery. It was awesome for the races in the afternoon though. Loamy with exceptional grip.

The chassis and suspenion are unreal. What a difference compared to my '98 !! The '91 Mugen cylinder still rips....lots of people coming by in the pits loooking for that lonely smoker and when they got to know that the cylinder is 22 years old they couldn't believe it :)

8590219226_8fd25435c2_c.jpg

In the second heat i got a really bad start.I let the clutch too fast out and the engine bogged...i still finished 2nd later on though.

8586344880_edd944684c_c.jpg

Close-up of the engine:

'97 bottom (6 speed)

'91 Mugen cylinder

'92 HRC ignition

Mototassinari VForce3

38mm Keihin PWK Air Striker

In the pic shown with a DEP pipe but right now i use a '99 Pro Circuit exhaust paired to an italian DLR carbon silencer

....and the rider is a '67 :)

8597710069_5b8ee984f1_c.jpg

Edited by nino

nice ride nino. that 125 sounded crisp. I noticed too that you let them 4 strokes by so you can blow by them ... nice

Like everyone has said, really nice bike and excellent riding! You know i've never really ridden a 125, just 250 smokers, Im gonna have to look into one soon. It awesome knowing you have new technology paired with a bitchen 2 smoke engine, dont need nothin' else.

wow. beautiful bikes. i have a soft spot for anything from HRC and Mugen. Showed these pics to a japanese buddy of mine, he also rode for HRC and had Mugen support with the motoroman team here in japan. he def. enjoyed them.

I see your AFS 125 and Raise you to a AFS 250 - 06 motor with '10 250R frame not my work - nino it's the guy who made your trick footpegs did it for a friend. Just got done building it madien voyage should be at the opening practice in a couple weeks at washougal if it doesn't rain!

IMG950277_zps217db8ac.jpg

dang ok ive been folowing this thread for a bit and im really impressed with the 125 your riding now,in fact so impressed i cant wait till my odest moves up to a 125 haahha but holy crap man that 91 125 is siiiiiiiick!!!!!! the aluminum tank and all?!?!? wow i cant beleave that this is the first time ive watched the vid with the head!!! anyway man i envy you!!!!

... man i envy you!!!!

Thank you ;)

Problem is i am still wrenching on that AF looking to find some more hidden horsepower. I have so many things left to try out but over here in zurich we just got some snow again over the night ....no riding possible right now.Dang!

So my other "project" is still waiting to be finished. My beloved VRP of '91. Most young riders can't estimate what this bike really is...a true worksbike.A pice of art.As soon as i am happy with my AF i will get the finishing touches on this baby. The engine needs and overhaul (new bearings and seals) and there's still one of my Mugen cylinders waiting to be put on it again. The suspension is completely revised...like new. Plastics and graphics new....only the engine needs some care as it hasn't been touched for the last 18 years or so.

This is how it looks right now:

8408526325_6356b28797_b.jpg

This is how it sounds with an engine that has been sitting in a corner for the last 18 years (completely untouched!):

My garage about 1 month ago: four 125s....the KTM is gone...no more fourstrokes for me!! And that other bike with No. 25 on the floor is not existent anymore. I bought it for 500$ and use it as spare parts only. I am right now rebuilding that '99 engine which might be put in my AF later on.

8435564255_36e5551eea_c.jpg

Edited by nino
  • Like 1