2013 KTM 450SXF Clutch Issue 2.4HRS!:(

I just purchased a brand new 13 KTM 450SXF over the weekend and decided on Sunday that I would go for a break in trail ride with my dad and a few freinds. I put an hour meter on the bike before it was ever started and had .3 hours on it before the first real ride. During those .3 hours I started the bike and warmed it up and then completely cooled it down two times ( changing rpms and second time rode it around went through the gears and such). I did notice that the cluch seemed a bit noisy when disengaged and in neutral idling but figured it wasnt a big deal because I also heard from others on youtube videos and sounded no different from there's. bike is signif. quiter with clutch engaged(pulled in). So we loaded up and headed out to the desert, immidiately I could tell that I was going to love the bike, I have a 11 KTM450 sxf that I also absolutely love, but it seemed to be getting long in the tooth (145hrs 1 piston and ring total maint!!) and I heard good things from shootouts about 13 and got a good deal so got it. It feels so much lighter than the 11 and handling was amazing!! plus amazing smooth low rpm pull just like my 11 followed by super responsive and super power as every rpm comes up to stupid fast top end. I was loving everything except that the bike was running pretty hot at low speed working the bike like we do every weekend in the tighter technical trails, to the point where I had to shut it down a few times and let it cool was spitting barely out of the overflow!! let it cool and continue. I figured that the bikes fi mapping was way too lean at low throttle position/idle settings. So overall ride goes great and never notice any clutch issue except that its super smooth and amazing light(as light as my 11 with mountain engineering lever and bigger bore master cyinder!!). Next day I decide its time to change the break in oil and wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oil comes out like black water with the smell like I lit the bike on fire!! I work on bikes and cars and whatever I can get my hands on on the side as a mechanic and so I new the smell was that of a fried clutch so I opened up the cover and wow!!!!!!!!!!!! again, clutch steel plates are just black and blue as can be and the fibers are dark fried look!!!! So sad I love the bike but ive pushed my 11 wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy harder for over 90+hours and changed the plates just because of the time on them not because I actually needed it, and this 13 has only 2.4hours on it with only maybe 1 or 2 full throttle blips and tried to be easy on it overall!! pretty silly I called the dealer and they said never had this type of issue before but then called rekluse and they said they havent even made a clutch ass. for the sxf or xcf yet because they arent ready to due to reliability issues!! funny because its exact clutch as 450xc,xcw,exc and 500xc,xcw,exc and all the 13 two strokes. I believe that the 250psi belleville washer is not sufficient for the bike. not enough pressure but crazy I didnt think I was pushing it!! Scariest part of all is now this bike with 2.4 hours on it has had shit watery fried oil and clutch debris floating throughout all those nice new parts and nice new soft crank plain bearings and tranny, etc etc!! Even if its fixed im worried about the engine now!! Hopefully KTM will realize the problem(which rekluse says that they no whats going on and they are working on it) and warranty the whole damn engine for me. I guess I get to cross my fingers for now, would have kept that awesome 11 if I only could have known!!!!! :( :( PS-apperently the enduro race team rider (forgot his name carrelli or something) could not complete a race with this clutch and went back to his reliable 12 because of the issue!!

You clearly have a mechanical failure of some kind, maybe the Belleville washer or maybe something else. Don't fret, get the bike checked out an inspected and then see what needs to be done.

The 280psi washer will be available in January according to MXA and while the 250psi may not be totally sufficient, it seems to be adequate for many riders at least in the short term.

Thanks for the info!! I tried to get the 280psi clutch washer from Ktm when I bought the bike before I ever even put the bike in gear but too bad hav to wait til jan for that part!!! I believe that's a lot of the problem because this motor puts out so much hp/torque vs a 250two stroke or an enduro style like the xc or xcw's. add in heat and you've got a recipe for disaster!!! Planning on getting the w fan with t stat if all goes well on this issue

Thanks for the info!! I tried to get the 280psi clutch washer from Ktm when I bought the bike before I ever even put the bike in gear but too bad hav to wait til jan for that part!!! I believe that's a lot of the problem because this motor puts out so much hp/torque vs a 250two stroke or an enduro style like the xc or xcw's. add in heat and you've got a recipe for disaster!!! Planning on getting the w fan with t stat if all goes well on this issue

Still doesn't add up. I've watched and rode stock 450's getting ridden hard for 5 hours straight during the KTM Demo Day at Redbud. My buddy also has a Dungey Edition that I've ridden for 2 40 minute motos in 95 degree weather and he hasn't had any problems with the oil being like you mentioned

Still doesn't add up. I've watched and rode stock 450's getting ridden hard for 5 hours straight during the KTM Demo Day at Redbud. My buddy also has a Dungey Edition that I've ridden for 2 40 minute motos in 95 degree weather and he hasn't had any problems with the oil being like you mentioned

mine has about 10 hours on it , clutch is fine and i come from riding 2 strokes so even through its a 450 still use the clutch in the corners , i live in asia if its hot its 100 if its cold its 95 degrees every day .

have done 4 oil changes and 2 filters so far in the 10 hours , oil is a cheaper than engine rebuild

It's pretty strange to me too. Maybe the demo day bikes didn't have the break in oil in them. And on a Mx track I don't see them getting very hot because of the good airflow. Where I was riding it is very technical 1st gear stuff and that's with my gearing being a very low 13/52!! So very little radiator airflow and it was getting hot. I have a feeling it's too lean at idle/low throttle openings and this will make it run too hot for slow/technical areas and also attribute to some of the flameout/stalling issues even at the track!! I'd love to see how this bike does on a Mx track based on my first impressions on trails I imagine it will be greAt!!

It's pretty strange to me too. Maybe the demo day bikes didn't have the break in oil in them. And on a Mx track I don't see them getting very hot because of the good airflow. Where I was riding it is very technical 1st gear stuff and that's with my gearing being a very low 13/52!! So very little radiator airflow and it was getting hot. I have a feeling it's too lean at idle/low throttle openings and this will make it run too hot for slow/technical areas and also attribute to some of the flameout/stalling issues even at the track!! I'd love to see how this bike does on a Mx track based on my first impressions on trails I imagine it will be greAt!!

I did have a slight boil over on one of the earlier rides but that was 1st gear, rocky trail. The bike is still being broken in though, you have to realize that. Put 5-10 hours on it first and do a couple of oil changes before you hit the panic button. Also, I'm not sure what level rider you are but this bike is not meant for slow technical terrain unless you know how to ride it (I'm not implying that you don't, I have no idea). I'm an A-vet rider/racer and I'm certainly no pro but I've ridden 450's in the tight trails here in New England since 2003 so I'm pretty comfortable on them.

Tom Ktm- ya I agree that the bike is not a enduro model but its the exact same engine as the xcf minus maybe and I'm not sure the mapping that I believe to be too lean. I'm def not giving up on the bike I really like it. I'm also a a rider and have been riding/racing since I was 11. I'm 29 now an this is the first issue with any bike like this but oh we'll! An I've owned only mx 450's Honda yam Ktm Suzuki in the past so I for sure no how to ride them and keep the bike alive!! Thanks all of you for advise tho I just wanna keep it going as I loved the first ride!!!

Just heard back from dealer they said that Ktm said the break in oil MUST be changed in less than 1 hour and before your first ride on the bike. Apparently it is only good for sealing the gaskets/rings/etc. Ktm is backing me tho and said they will give me a complete new clutch for free under warranty!!! Ktm and the mechanic said that the rest of the motor will be fine do to the multiple screens and oil filter protecting bearings etc!!! I'm super happy with this and plan on puttin the fan on it temporarily and 280 psi spring with preload in the number 1 spot until I get it remapped!!!! Cudos to Ktm for backing their product!! I'm still a believer!!!

That's awesome that KTM is working with you. I suspect your dealer deserves some kudos as well.

I was surprised in your earlier post when you said you went for a real ride with the break-in oil still in it. That stuff has the lubricating quality of tap water. Does the owners manual address the issue in anyway? I can see doing some light putting around with no clutch fanning on break-in oil but that's about all.

Well my last brand new bike was a 2004 yz250f i had shipped to me in a crate and I put my own oil in it/assembled it. I never would hav figured the oil was only good for max 1 hr I figured I'd take it easy and that it was motorex high quality!! Live and learn I guess!! Still happy with their fix, but y don't they just do that tiny break in at the factory?? Figure it would save them money on warranty issues like this! Oh well

I broke my motor in on flat trails loading and unloading the engine for 1hr.No steep hill climbs no slow technical stuff,average speed was probably 20mph.Rode back to the trailer and dumped the oil.It was coming out like water.

The break in oil does not have enough lubrication and thermal protection properties built in on purpose..Riding on this oil for a an extended time,let alone to the point of letting the bike overheat,is asking for trouble.

Glad KTM is helping out.Kudos to your dealer and KTM.Another reason to ride Orange!