Polishing xr400 headers

Just wondering if there is any tricks to polishing the stock headers on an 02 xr 400 to bring back the original copper color? If not ceramic coating them sounds like an option?

Steel wool, fine wire brush wheel, or scotchbright pad help a lot, or have it bead blasted. However if will darken again.

Steel wool, fine wire brush wheel, or scotchbright pad help a lot, or have it bead blasted. However if will darken again.

what if you get it chromed, will it become discolored later on?

what if you get it chromed, will it become discolored later on?

Chrome discolors with heat. It will get rainbow looking places where the heat is the greatest.

Stainless headers on the newer XR's. Just clean them up like trooper8 said every couple years. They should last a looooong time.

No chrome! that would be a big mistake, all dinged up from rocks, and blue/yellow from heat.

You don't want to use steel wool if the headers are stainless steel. It will cause rust stains. Stainless steel wool or a stainless pot scrubber are better. If you use a wire wheel on stainless it also needs to be a stainless steel wire wheel.

Edited by Baja Rambler

Clearly that would be best. Its very dry here and hasn't been an issue in ten yrs of XR duty.

Perhaps "rust stains" is a bit harsh in this case. Discoloration is probably a more accurate description.

I did mine with a Scotch pad and WD40 (or equivalent) - after this step I thought I completely ruined them. It looked like hell. Then I polished them with white diamond metal Polish and they looked like mirror finished chrome wheels.

Its difficult to do a real nice job with the headers on the bike tho... If you do remove them, be prepared to replace the lead manifold gaskets (they're relatively inexpensive) - and don't break the studs!!!!! Re-torque them properly aswell.

Agreed, remove them for this job.