I just bought insurance for my dirt bike. Anyone else?

I just bought a brand new '13 yz250 last week. Dirt bike theft is pretty high and hard to track down since you cannot register bikes in georgia so i called my insurance agent and asked her if she could get me a policy for my dirt bike and she did.

$13 a month for full coverage on my bike. Covers theft, house fire, if i get into a wreck while pulling it on a trailer, if i bail on a huge jump and my bike hits a tree and snaps in half. Its all covered.

Seemed like a good idea and i'll keep it for atleast a couple of years while the bike is so new. I'll eventually cancel it but for now i think its well worth the money for a little piece of mind.

Anyone else have their off road vehicles insured?

• Like 2

Getting insurance (and as much as they will sell you) is always a good idea. Some insurance companies will also cover loss of modifications meaning if you tweak your bike and it gets stolen, not only do you get the value of the stock bike but you also get the value of the add on parts and labor. I do this for all my bikes, having full coverage (including crash damage), a $1MM liability coverage as well as $300K medical. My costs are about $120 a year per bike, ail through State Farm. You'd have to go over 40 years with no loss to not make out well buying insurance.

First time some precious mommies baby is drunk on their bike resulting with them running into you therefore them blaming you for not avoiding their inebriated child, you'll be so glad you are covered.

$160 per year for both my bikes which includes multi-line discounts (have all my insurance through them). Full coverage including liability etc... Also through State Farm. I got it just for theft but never considered the reasons mentioned above. I'm even happier I have it now.

I even insured my CRF 50. Not really because I'm worried about damage or theft, but because the multi-bike discount I got was more than the cost for the insurance so my rate actually went down! If you are buying insurance and have a mini, ask about multi-bike discounts.

I'm never surprised by how few people carry a policy, for dirt or street bikes. I even called my agent before I left the store, with a new mountain bike...It's covered, but through my homeowner ins. When you consider years of monthly installments, it seems expensive and unnecessary...it only takes one claim to make having it, well worth the investment.

I called all around and the cheapest I found was $288 a year. Do you have liability in case you hit someone or damage property? That may be where the difference is.

Thats a good question. I'll have to ask to make sure but i think so. My policy says: bodily injury protection, property damage coverage, medical payments, other than collision, collision, and transport trailer. So not sure if i have what your talking about. I didn't get the optional equipment on this bike but have it on my drz and i think it covers $2500 in mods which is really cool because i have that much in it. My yz250 is going to be left stock for now. Its good to go out the box.

I would say shop around or get an agent because one company quoted me $750 a year for the same coverage!

Thats a good point. I know your not necessarly talking about the company i went with but i've had the same agent for a long time with all kinds of insurance and she has never let me down. Even though i must admit i have never heard of the company Foremost until i went with them today.

I don't get it, I've got State farm also but without medical and I'm paying 2 to 3 times more than others. Over 40, 3 cars with them and I have never made an insurance claim in my life. My credit isn't the best after a horrible divorce, so that may be the culprit.

I don't have the best credit either. Over 30, married, 2 cars, 2 bikes and homeowners. Also i have had to make a theft claim within the past 2 years, got my tailgate stolen off my truck. I pay 180 a month for all of the above coverages. Cars are insured at really high levels and low deductibles. Agents can make a huge difference in getting you the best rate.

Edited by c-slak

Getting insurance (and as much as they will sell you) is always a good idea. Some insurance companies will also cover loss of modifications meaning if you tweak your bike and it gets stolen, not only do you get the value of the stock bike but you also get the value of the add on parts and labor. I do this for all my bikes, having full coverage (including crash damage), a $1MM liability coverage as well as $300K medical. My costs are about $120 a year per bike, ail through State Farm. You'd have to go over 40 years with no loss to not make out well buying insurance.

First time some precious mommies baby is drunk on their bike resulting with them running into you therefore them blaming you for not avoiding their inebriated child, you'll be so glad you are covered.

Ditto for me.