Beta MX ?

Seems like we have all kinds of Beta topics. I figured I'd add a weird one... or something just a little less usual. I ran across a couple of Beta vids and this most recent one from a Boano racing team member on an mx track. I figured I'd just start it. I don't think there are many that will come here but you never know. Lots of guys use their one bike for all kinds of stuff.. even road riding . I think most here are enduro guys but some of us hit the mx track too. Really some stiffer suspension work is the main difference to me...at least for a little mx fun.

There is that cross country Beta but I don't even know if any came to the US.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I'd like to see anyone out there set up there Beta for motocross and have some video of it.. Anyone? ... just more spice for the soup.

I thought about one for MX, but the more I talked to people, it was not a cost effective idea. Not much info on making it moto, but it seems to be a good woods weapon.

I still would like to do moto with one, but in talking to some people on the phone, it really isn't designed for that in stock trim. It could be done, but I don't want to invest 12K and only have what the Japs have already on the floor. It's like taking my YZ 450's and using it for an enduro. Sure it can be done, but then there are already bikes out there specifically made to do enduros.

Somebody is going to prove me wrong, I just know it!

I thought about one for MX, but the more I talked to people, it was not a cost effective idea. Not much info on making it moto, but it seems to be a good woods weapon.

I still would like to do moto with one, but in talking to some people on the phone, it really isn't designed for that in stock trim. It could be done, but I don't want to invest 12K and only have what the Japs have already on the floor. It's like taking my YZ 450's and using it for an enduro. Sure it can be done, but then there are already bikes out there specifically made to do enduros.

Somebody is going to prove me wrong, I just know it!

Anyone could get a $1500-2000 mx bike off of craigslist for that matter..but.

I know what you're saying.. there are tons of mx bikes out there. Why ruin a perfect enduro bike.. but I'm just thinking maybe having some stiffer springs etc.(or just ride it how it is) to fool around with. Still look at some of the World enduro championship riders hitting some mx special tests.. Those guys are flying!!! For me enduro/offroad is first and foremost but that doesn't mean I can't play on some mx stuff on more natural tracks with my soft suspension. I don't want any airtime either.... I don't want to even try as I might like it too much and start risking bodily injury too much. I get hurt enough in relatively slow offroad riding. I ride as fast as I can without falling. That's my goal and I push just a little beyond that. It's not like the young days where I'm trying to push it a little more on the edge and maybe over my head a bit. My body isn't going to take the crashing too good. I'm not so soft and flexible and ready to pop back up after a crash. This cross country is supposed to be the sort of mx version.. well it's just a bit lighter and with a 19" rear wheel. I guess that's for some but the 18" wheel in back is fine with me and I can take off my light if I want.. I actually like the horn for trail traffic. I've kind of crashed on it and put it under water a few times so now it works once in a while. I bought another horn and my horn started working again that day.

Beta alert at 4:45? This is some WEC. These are trail bikes but guys are still hauling and it looks like some mx without the mega table tops. .. just no big first turn

Suspension is the easy part making a Beta into. a MX racer. Any bike can be raced but for any type of competition and commitment, a lot will need to be done to the motor. Beta's rev too slow and have un-exciting powerband for MX. Both Chris Bach and Cody have changed the motors to be more MX like so it can be done but at a cost. Forks and shock unbolt and toss, Beta racers don't even us them for enduros.

Suspension is the easy part making a Beta into. a MX racer. Any bike can be raced but for any type of competition and commitment, a lot will need to be done to the motor. Beta's rev too slow and have un-exciting powerband for MX. Both Chris Bach and Cody have changed the motors to be more MX like so it can be done but at a cost. Forks and shock unbolt and toss, Beta racers don't even us them for enduros.

Toss the forks and shock? Rev too slow? My 40+ RWHP, 100+ MPH, whoop slamming, rock crawling, hill flattening bike is just not competitive in stock condition? I guess I should just throw away my bike.

While I no longer race, I have no doubt my bone stock 520RS would do well in a District 37 desert race/enduro. Heck, Dave's 350 and 450 did pretty darn well in the 6,12,24 Hour racing series at Glen Helen last season. Those bikes are pretty much bone stock with the exception of a suspension revalve. It's no motocross bike, but the Beta is every bit competitive for desert, enduros, and GNCC racing right out of the box (for the average racer) as anything out there. Of course if you are factory sponsored, nothing on the bike will be stock.

Yea I didn't put anything up for anyone to make Beta to be any serious MX bike.. This is just a for fun thread. I guess some could set it up if they want. I think the cross country is the one to do it with if anyone wanted. I think there's a thinner base gasket and some other minor settings on that bike.. For me the last thing I want is a Beta MX bike but I don't mind doing a few laps with my Beta for fun the way it is.

Yea I didn't put anything up for anyone to make Beta to be any serious MX bike.. This is just a for fun thread. I guess some could set it up if they want. I think the cross country is the one to do it with if anyone wanted. I think there's a thinner base gasket and some other minor settings on that bike.. For me the last thing I want is a Beta MX bike but I don't mind doing a few laps with my Beta for fun the way it is.

As versatile of a bike these Beta's can be, I have no doubt there are a few guys who will be doing some serious MX on these. The last thing I would want is any kind of MX bike. Peeling off laps on a track, while great for conditioning, Is just not my thing. Not to mention I'm WAY too old for bar banging!

As versatile of a bike these Beta's can be, I have no doubt there are a few guys who will be doing some serious MX on these. The last thing I would want is any kind of MX bike. Peeling off laps on a track, while great for conditioning, Is just not my thing. Not to mention I'm WAY too old for bar banging!

I hear that...although every once in a while I feel scrappy and start flashing back to the old days. .. my lack of practice and how out of shape for mx is immediately felt as soon as I start riding a little ..very quickly....The trails are definitely the best place..but every once in a while I can play a little. .. I forgot even on this old promo type vid there was some mx action for the older gen Beta's. I'm sure I'd feel more spry about riding mx if I was in better shape. Ok it's that time of year again to press the reset button and set new goals.

Still it's nice seeing this enduro bike flying around an mx track. I'd guess it's just his boano race bike set up for WEC.

Ballisticxchris - I have no dought your enduro race bike can do well in a desert/GNCC/Enduro race in stock form. Duh!, we were talking about MX. Any real MX racer wants a different power delivery than what the Beta has stock. Ask around a MX track what the top racers want, the Beta motor in stock form isn't it. No one wanted a KTM until they became more Jap like. It's a major commitment to enter the MX area and I don't see Beta going there anytime soon.

In that video, it is Deny Philippaerts. He is Factory racing Beta in Europe. Not really a fair comparison of what the bike can do . I'm sure it isn't stock. He would ride a pre production or a prototype.

With a lot of tuning for him also. No expenses spared.

Deny used to ride world MX also

He is the brother of David Philippaerts, who races for the Team Monster Energy Yamaha in Europe on a 450.

This is like comparing apples to oranges. Those guys can outride any of us on a pogo stick.

Still it's nice seeing this enduro bike flying around an mx track. I'd guess it's just his boano race bike set up for WEC.

Edited by Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

your right on the money.........

Ballisticxchris - I have no dought your enduro race bike can do well in a desert/GNCC/Enduro race in stock form. Duh!, we were talking about MX. Any real MX racer wants a different power delivery than what the Beta has stock. Ask around a MX track what the top racers want, the Beta motor in stock form isn't it. No one wanted a KTM until they became more Jap like. It's a major commitment to enter the MX area and I don't see Beta going there anytime soon.

Yep you can ride the track with anything and have fun! I even occasional get the flying yellow pig out on the track to just prove it! :goofy: There is something supremely satisfying about blowing by someone and honking the horn as you pass..................... Of course the only people I pass on the flying yellow pig are usually laying on the ground! :lol:

In that video, it is Deny Philippaerts. He is Factory racing Beta in Europe. Not really a fair comparison of what the bike can do . I'm sure it isn't stock. He would ride a pre production or a prototype.

With a lot of tuning for him also. No expenses spared.

Deny used to ride world MX also

He is the brother of David Philippaerts, who races for the Team Monster Energy Yamaha in Europe on a 450.

This is like comparing apples to oranges. Those guys can outride any of us on a pogo stick.

it's just a video of a rider riding a Beta on an MX track bottom line. It's a top pro rider riding what looks to be his Boano racing Beta probably modded up for world enduro championship racing. Still that's not an MX bike . It's an enduro bike. But this is just a thread of guys riding their Beta for MX in whatever capacity that means. There are no rules here. It's just a thread . A noob novice can ride around a little foofoo track and a top pro can fly around a more aggressive mx track.. Beta specificly made the cross country exactly for those wanting to race a little mx if they want to. It's not really a stretch at all. How many mx bikes are out there riding trail now and modded for it.

http://www.motorcycl...First-Look.aspx

Here's a 350 rr .....It's not Glenn Helen but who cares?

Here's more Deny for you..

Here's the Beta cross country that's supposed to be for for MX, hare scrambles etc... Not much different than the other Beta's just by looks.. 19" in back and no headlight are the most noticeable differences.. What's classic is the kick stand!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7oJvtdc8FM

It is rider of course...This old vid shows that.. but if he can do that with that I'm sure the Beta could do fine...

it's just a video of a rider riding a Beta on an MX track bottom line. It's a top pro rider riding what looks to be his Boano racing Beta probably modded up for world enduro championship racing. Still that's not an MX bike . It's an enduro bike. But this is just a thread of guys riding their Beta for MX in whatever capacity that means. There are no rules here. It's just a thread . A noob novice can ride around a little foofoo track and a top pro can fly around a more aggressive mx track.. Beta specificly made the cross country exactly for those wanting to race a little mx if they want to. It's not really a stretch at all. How many mx bikes are out there riding trail now and modded for it.

http://www.motorcycl...First-Look.aspx

Here's a 350 rr .....It's not Glenn Helen but who cares?

Here's more Deny for you..

After watching that video, that bike sounds quiet but not slow revving. at the end of the vid, the bike doesn't really rev high, but I might be rethinking this bike.

Also, I think the CC bike is just a stripped down (as in weight) bike with a 19 inch tire.

Edited by Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

I forgot about this test being sort of for a do everything on one bike sort of project. They cut this article short as it used to be a couple of pages long but supposedly a couple of the testers (Donatoni?) said he posted one of his fastest mx laps ever on the bike.. Basicly it's an 09 with a big bore motor and suspension done. That's not bad for an enduro bike and that's the old Beta like mine. It's an old article anyway. It's a good source link for some of the parts ..especially for the first gen Beta guys to check out. Some of our TT Beta members have some cool big bore rfs bikes. Great for wide open stuff and charging big hills I would imagine. Probably not bad for mx either.

http://www.dirtrider...0_rx_prototype/

The 350RR and 450RR did really well at Glen Helens 6/12/24 hour race series. The course not only ran you through the MX course, It also had the bikes flying through the trophy truck course backwards!

I have no doubt that the RR Cross Country Is just as good as any bike out there with the right rider aboard. What more could you want for a full on "moto" bike. I wonder if it will be made available for 2013?

http://www.americanbeta.com/node/775

The 350RR and 450RR did really well at Glen Helens 6/12/24 hour race series. The course not only ran you through the MX course, It also had the bikes flying through the trophy truck course backwards!

I have no doubt that the RR Cross Country Is just as good as any bike out there with the right rider aboard. What more could you want for a full on "moto" bike. I wonder if it will be made available for 2013?

http://www.americanbeta.com/node/775

Ahh the frame is stiffened and a better shock...hmm. I don't see anything about the motor in this description.