Sign in to follow this  

What boots are best bang for the Money

Local MC shop has boots on sale .. I wear an 8.5 shoe ..my current boots I have are Shift Combats in 10 .. i bought these when I got my 4 wheeler back in 09

Thinking about using some santa money and buy me new pair of boots

Looking at Thor ratchets and FOX Comp 5 .. the dealer has these marked down to $99.99 ... why? because he basicaly has all the same same size .. size 9

I need to go back with different socks and see if they will even fit properly ..

what i noticed today:

THOR - snug in the ankle -- stiff in the ankle areas -- stiff -- ratchet system slick as snot

FOX Comp5 - Comfy fit -- no toe guards -- feels like would break in quickly -- snug in ankle area -- nice tread design (tennis shoe like)

I'm looking for those that may wear these boots ...god the bad and ugly ??

any input appreciated

Local MC shop has boots on sale .. I wear an 8.5 shoe ..my current boots I have are Shift Combats in 10 .. i bought these when I got my 4 wheeler back in 09

Thinking about using some santa money and buy me new pair of boots

Looking at Thor ratchets and FOX Comp 5 .. the dealer has these marked down to $99.99 ... why? because he basicaly has all the same same size .. size 9

I need to go back with different socks and see if they will even fit properly ..

what i noticed today:

THOR - snug in the ankle -- stiff in the ankle areas -- stiff -- ratchet system slick as snot

FOX Comp5 - Comfy fit -- no toe guards -- feels like would break in quickly -- snug in ankle area -- nice tread design (tennis shoe like)

I'm looking for those that may wear these boots ...god the bad and ugly ??

any input appreciated

Deff do not get Thor boots, I know a few people who broke a leg cause those boots, including myself.

To answer you question on which boots are the bang for your money, I would say a quality used pair. You can cheap out on a helmet, and all your other gear, but not boots. I would search craigslist and ebay for a decent pair of used boots.

About 2 years ago I searched all the craigslist accross the country. Found a pair of almost new alpinestar tech-10's for $180 ( think theyre 500 something new), talked the guy into shipping them from texas to florida for me. No way in hell would I have got a decent set of boots for $180 new.

Hey, Was browsing around and saw a guy just list some alpinestar tech-8's (size 9) for $100 in the gear section. There ya go!!!

You can cheap out on a helmet, and all your other gear, but not boots.

I don't agree on the helmet(I've had a cheap one break open during a crash). Whatever you do, Buy the very best you can afford. after that, the severity & circumstance of a crash, will determine how good your gear protects you.

get comp 5 boots I wore mine for the first time today and I like them a lot more than my comp 3 and alpinestar boots are so heavy omg I don't see how people wear them. I haven't tried any other brands but fox comp 5s size 8 is what I wear and I would love to buy another pair for 100$????? I would pay shipping too!!

Deff do not get Thor boots, I know a few people who broke a leg cause those boots, including myself.

Exactly how did any boot cause a broken leg ? Broken toe, foot or ankle maybe but no boot. NONE will protect from a broken leg.

Name names if indeed this has happened.

The Alpinestar Tech 3 at $199.95 MSRP is a great buy. I wear these most of the time racing myself.

The Thor Rachet boot is also very very good with a MSRP of $169.95

A great entry level boot is the Moose M1.2 boot at $144.95 ( I use a lot when working trails )

Exactly how did any boot cause a broken leg ? Broken toe, foot or ankle maybe but no boot. NONE will protect from a broken leg.

Name names if indeed this has happened.

Not saying the boot was 100% to blame. I was racing and kinda lost it in some woops, and came down on my feet. I forget what the bone is called, but it cracked at the bottom of my leg going upwards. Afterwards I looked into the boots on here, and a few people had the same exact thing happen to them.

OK thanks for the input ..

the place carries, Alpinestars, Moose Racing, Fox and Thor ... ?? Alpines though I think were all white and not really into white

So Little concerned now about the Thor boots ? if I remembered correctly the Thor boots seemed to have a lot more plastic in the boot, protecting the shin and leg..

will see if I get there today

Yeah I wouldn't get white boots my comp 5's are white and first ride they got black from the engine and red from the clay so first thing I had to do was wash them for like 20 mins when I got home trying to get ever spot because dirt really shows on white boots! Especially Carolina clay! :shocked:

I wear comp 5s and for the money, I paid 169.00 for mine and still feel like I got a great deal on a good boot. Several guys I know have them and say the same.

well after trying on several different ones in size 9 ... i ended up with a pair of Moose Racing M1.2 , size 10 ... i don;t understand the sizing thing ...i wear an 8.5, and the 9's felt so restricted ... not sure if I'll sell my Combats or hang on to them .. but thinking cleaning 'em up and ebaying them off ... still liked the feel of the Comp5 .. but the M1.2 also feel pretty good and feel like they have pretty good ankle support/protection

I bought my fly racing Maverick boots for about 100$ bucks and I've been pleasantly surprised by how good they are. I would suggest them if you tight on money

My racing buddy bought a pair of those and he said they aren't holding up as good as he though they are starting to fall apart.. but that was after three races and lots of practice

• Like 1

Personally, I only ever got about 50-60 hours out of a $100-140 pair of boots. This is about one season for me.

Personally, I only ever got about 50-60 hours out of a $100-140 pair of boots. This is about one season for me.

Yeah that seems like what happens to me but im running hare scrambles so its probably rougher than say mx and I crash alot haha