Sign in to follow this  

2001 WR250F to YZ250F 2003 Stator/Flywheel swap and keep original CDI?

Rebuilt my 2001 wr250f engine from the bottom up and swapped the crankshaft, flywheel, and stator to a 2003 yz250f. Didn't bother looking, just assumed it was plug and play. Now I'm getting no spark. The wiring of the stators are different.

2001 WR250F:

WiTk5.png

2003 yz250f:

Yamaha-YZ250FW-Wiring-Diagram.png

Notice the difference in the wiring at the magneto coil (?) between the two. What does this third wire coming off the magneto (?) do?

It is hard for me to determine what these wires do in the CDI box. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make the wr250f CDI box work with the yz250f stator?

I'm 99% sure you need the CDI. Also, the Coil is on the plug cap, Your best bet is probably to get a wiring harness also. There is a post (I think by GrimJim) that describes putting in the '03 YZ crank, and using the '01 WR electrics. You need to make a couple of mechanical mods. Not the least of which is to space out your rotor cover about 1/8".

-Toby

Edited by Toby_S

The grey wire mod leads me to believe that the cdi boxes are identical. The only difference being the wiring harness.

Using my WR stator would require machining of the flywheel. I bought a lighting stator anyway.

On the wiring diagram for the WR there are 3 wires coming from the right side of the stator illustration. (ignition?) Why is that? I understand that the only difference being the lighting wiring on the WR, so what purpose does it serve? The wires going into the cdi and coming out different colors makes it obscure to me.

Ever get this all figured out?

A couple of years ago I bought a wire harness, coil, ecm from a '05 yz250f. I wanted to use it on my '01 wr250f for the weight savings. I ran into the same wiring issues, but in reverse. I threw the '05 parts on the shelf and kind of forgot about them.

Yes, I just went all YZ electrics. WR and YZ electrics don't work together. The YZ lighting stator by electrosport failed on the first ride anyway. Effin trash. Don't buy electrosport.

I don't think the CDI ever sees DC. The WR's pre-battery don't have a rectifier on them anywhere. Once they went to electric start and had a battery then of course I imagine they did have a rectifier. I recently finished going the opposite way - lights on a YZF. All the same wires (other than the stator to CDI) are there just in different connectors. You can even use either coil you want with either CDI. I kept the coil on plug setup with the WR CDI but stator has to stay with the CDI it was designed for. Clay