oil problem on 81 xl 500

hi guys i got an old 81 xl 500s that im busy restoring, got her going real well. when shes running well and hot she seems to be leaking a bit of oil near the rockers onto cooling fins but i cant seem to find the source. any ideas where to start?

hi guys i got an old 81 xl 500s that im busy restoring, got her going real well. when shes running well and hot she seems to be leaking a bit of oil near the rockers onto cooling fins but i cant seem to find the source. any ideas where to start?

Hey dadon,

sorry to hear about your bummer, but I'd think it's safe to say you've got a problem with your gasket. So by rockers you're referring to your valve cover or the mating surface between the valve cover and the cylinder? (cylinder head). It sounds like a gasket problem, but since you're gonna be taking these parts off to do a gasket replacement you might as well go a little further. You could run a compression test and make sure your rings are healthy, then pop that cylinder head off, do a gas leak test on the valves, re-lap valves if needed, reinstall your cylinder head and valve cover, check clearances and bam you're done.

This way you know you're top end is dialed and you can move on to other things.

thanks a lot for the help by rockers was reffering to valve cover. at least its an easy fix.lol. appreciiate the help bud.

Yeah I think the valve cover is a liquid gasket i.e. Hondabond etc.. High temperature silicone. So it's definitely an easy fix, pop that cover off, scrape the gasket surface with a razor and reapply some liquid gasket. ^_^

Post a picture if you can as well, just for accuracy.

hi guys. used the hondabond on valve cover, took her for a ride and same problem? cant seem to find where its coming from. the top of the cooling fins have a slight oily film on them. closest i can see is maybe the exhaust manifold but doesnt make sense why is the oil on the top of the fins? its really not a lot but need to get it sorted.lol.

thx guys just checked out all the info you sent and think i will drop the motor and inspect when i can . lol. anyway was wondering how to load pics from photo bucket to forum to show my work. also just got my hands on an 84" xr. need plenty of advice. lol.