Hey guys i have just gotten off my Honda crf150r and i am looking for a new bike. I have been to the dealership and have already checked out the Kx250f and the Crf250r. I am looking more at the Rm-z250 then any other bike right now. I need help finding what bike would be best for me. I have never been on a 250 but i am starting racing about a month after getting the bike. I was also offered $5800 for the Kx250f and i know it killed 2012 i am just not sure about a Kawasaki. Honestly i am not sure bout any please help!! :ride:

I am looking for a new 250f sometime soon to start racing. Any ideas? i looked at many bikes and was focused mainly on the Kawasaki and the Suzuki. I am open to everyone's opinion. I am looking at the 2010-2013 models please help me out!!

I am 130-140lbs about 5'9 and have only had experience riding a 150f . I would also really like to race so please help me out!

Try out both and see what you like best. Either bike will be a big step up from your 150. Also keep in mind maintenance costs and things like that. If your going to start racing the 250f will run in a smaller class while the 250 2 stroke will have to run with the 450s. If your just going to do a couple of races a year for fun then its not too big of a deal, it all comes down to preference and if you like 4 stroke power delivery better than 2 stroke. I personally love 2 strokes, how they ride, and the cheap maintenance. My advice is find some friends with each bike and try them out.

Thanks man i can buy a brand new 250f i have saved up enough but i have short notice to buy one and i will be a weekend racer and weekday trail rider.

Personally, I love to buy used just because I cant justify spending 8,000 on a dirt bike. Used deals are out there, although you have to be extremely careful buying a used four stroke so I can see where your coming from. You might want to make sure a 250 is the bike you want to ride for sure before buying new though. You may ride a 250 for a year and then decide you want a 450 and then youd take a huge hit on a new bike. Theres always deals to be had on 250 2 strokes though, I always invest $150 for a new top end when I buy a used 2 stroke.

This all comes down to one thing. Your riding style. If you've been riding four strokes for a majority of your life, than you're probably going to prefer a 250F over a 125/250 two stroke.

I grew up on two strokes, starting on a PW50, on to a RM80, and eventually to "big bikes" on a 125, when four strokes were coming on to the scene. Four stroke riders ride with a much different style and use the power much differently than a two stroke rider. If you were to jump on a 250 two stroke, it would make you have to ride with a totally different kind of style, having to get use to the light, flickable feel, and the having to steer the bike with the rear wheel. You'd also have to adjust to the abrupt power and learn to use that clutch to get the RPMs up and keep it up on the pipe. 250 two strokes require more throttle control. If you've been riding a CRF150R, you'd be happier to jump up to a 250F instead. Riding two strokes is a totally different game and I'm sure you wouldn't want to learn to how adjust to the bike all over again. This all comes down to racing, of course.

And i see how buying a 250 2 stroke would be a good thing because i can grow into it also but i weekly trail ride and race on weekends and i don't know anything bout 2 strokes besides they have cheaper maintenance more torque and you mix gas. I also don't know if i can handle that 250 2 stroke.. we will see though it is just short notice so i feel comfortable on a 250f but if i get a 250f what should i go for? i was already looking at Suzuki and Kawasaki 2012. And i heard you clutch A LOT on a 2 stroke, so how would that make it fun for a lazy trail ride . But i love jumps and i heard they are light too.

any of them are good. but IMO id choose the crf or the rmz. the suzuki i heard is very good all around but i love honda's so that's why id choose it

I havnt rode all of the models but i personally like the kx250f. They usually do really good in the shootouts too.

And i see how buying a 250 2 stroke would be a good thing because i can grow into it also but i weekly trail ride and race on weekends and i don't know anything bout 2 strokes besides they have cheaper maintenance more torque and you mix gas. I also don't know if i can handle that 250 2 stroke.. we will see though it is just short notice so i feel comfortable on a 250f but if i get a 250f what should i go for? i was already looking at Suzuki and Kawasaki 2012. And i heard you clutch A LOT on a 2 stroke, so how would that make it fun for a lazy trail ride . But i love jumps and i heard they are light too.

I went from a yz85 to a cr250 so you could easily handle it.

Thanks man i can buy a brand new 250f i have saved up enough but i have short notice to buy one and i will be a weekend racer and weekday trail rider.

Save big money and buy NEAR new

i vote honda, i road a 12 crf250 and was very impressed, they are supposed to be quite reliable these days compared to when they came out in 04 too. if not best in class, nearly best handling. they dont have the motor like a kawi does though. but thats why kawis need rebuilt a lot more.

jeeze people cant you give someone a direct answer...he wants to know which 2012 250 to go with, not a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke...

I'd vote Yamaha. They have the most rugged valve trains for any 4 stroke period and they don't have the weak transmissions that Suzuki's were plagued with as of late. Plus they look cool and have great suspension.

Woah when I first saw this thread I didnt see the first two posts for some reason, did you change your original post??? I read 150f at first if youve been riding a 150r which is a mx four stroke bike unlike a 150f which is a mild 4 stroke trail bike, then I would say yeah a 250f is the way to go for you.

I am 5'9 130-140 pounds and i'm looking at getting a 250 2 stroke i have just came off a 150f but i would really like to get a 250 2t instead of a 250f. I was really interested in getting the newer Yamaha Yz250 models but i also noticed the KTM 250sx and i want to know the differences between them and what bike you guys think i should invest in. Thank you! :ride:

I would get the newest possible. Newer is always better. Is a 250 big enough? Bigger is always better too.

The newer the better. I have a YZ and a KTM, both are excellent bikes imo. The YZ might be a better all around bike, The ktm will rip for sure. Any YZ 06 or newer as they are all the same (no updates since 06), KTM went to a linked suspension in 2010? I have the non-linked version and it's a little tricky to dial in. I assume at your weight either bike will need to be re-sprung as 250's are generally set up for heavier riders than you. At your size a 125 2t or a 144 (150) 2 stroke would be a great fit. I totally agree with your decision to go 2 stroke, but a 250 2t is a HUGE step up from a 150f, (Honda CRF 150F I assume?)

This is the worst thing about this site. Everyone recommends to buy/ride a 250 two stroke. There is now way you need a 250 two stroke coming off a 150F. It will blow you away power wise, and be intimidating to ride. I'd suggest you continue looking and deciding what you really want to buy. I am fairly confident that you havent actually ridden a 250 two stroke ???

I would get the newest possible. Newer is always better. Is a 250 big enough? Bigger is always better too.

Large levels of sarcasm in this post ???

Just the vibe I am getting !!