Saving money for a bike

Hey guys, I am having financial issues while trying to save for a bike, partially because I just bought riding gear. Anyways, I'm 15 and no one around me will hire 15 year olds. My birthday isn't until October which sucks cuz that's far away. I am hoping to save about $1300 before summer. That's what I would like to do. So I can't get a local job yet, it's pretty wet all the time in Washington and it's cold at this time of year. What can I do? I have handyman skills but my parents aren't comfortable with me going into people's houses without knowing them first. I could do yard work but that's more spring and summer ish. Help me! I need some work ideas!

Hey guys, I am having financial issues while trying to save for a bike, partially because I just bought riding gear. Anyways, I'm 15 and no one around me will hire 15 year olds. My birthday isn't until October which sucks cuz that's far away. I am hoping to save about $1300 before summer. That's what I would like to do. So I can't get a local job yet, it's pretty wet all the time in Washington and it's cold at this time of year. What can I do? I have handyman skills but my parents aren't comfortable with me going into people's houses without knowing them first. I could do yard work but that's more spring and summer ish. Help me! I need some work ideas!

Clean Gutters? 

• Like 1

I was in a very similar situation a couple years ago when I first wanted a bike, sell some stuff that you don't use anymore like snowboards and bikes. Another idea would be to go around the neighborhood asking people if they need any help with yard work or anything, well that's all I got, good luck

Maybe your parents can contribute to your fund? I do that with my 8yr old, if she wants something thats expensive I put them to work around the house. For example I have her clean up the house, clean up the yard, laundry etc. Based on the job and if its done properly I will pay her. 

Edited by piercebronkite

Hit up local bicycle shops.

They always have young kids as part time mechanics and what not.

I worked in one for years, starting at age 14.

Pay will likely be minimum but you will have a job and it is semi-related to moto.

That, or shovel snow or something.

There are plenty of cheap bikes out there too just fyi.

My first bike was a 1989 kx125.

Quite honestly, it was one of the best bikes I have ever had.

Those can be found for like $800 these days.

Probably less even.

Thanks guys I will consider all of those. As far as I know, there isn't any byicycle shops near here. I don't think mcdonalds hires. I have some old paintball gear I'm gonna sell as well. I think ill end doing random stuff around the neighborhood I guess. Yard work or gutter cleaning or something. I could try to learn a crap ton about small engines like lawn mowers and open a small engine repair out of t garage. I have most or all of the tools I would need. Just gotta get the shit out of the garage. Problems of a 7 person family haha! Too much crap on the garage

Online poker?

Tutoring?

Make sign that says you are trying to save money for dirtbike - then stand on street corner?  (seriously, might work if you smile and wave).

Wash cars?

Walk dogs?

Babysitting?

Bake sale?

Dumpster dive for discarded objects and sell them on Craigslist.

Buy junk bikes for $100-$200 and part it out on eBay.  Learn about bikes in process.  Put ad on CL - "Junk bikes wanted".

I just LOL'd at the sign one! I could try that if I'm really bored.... The bike thing sounds like it could be worth a shot. Even if I just cleaned up the bike, took realy nice pics then listed it for +$30 more than I paid. I could make tons of money doing that. Not a bad idea

I'm just using $1500 as my amount I plan to save because I want some emergency money if something goes wrong with it. Say on my rust ride it blows up. If I only save the amount I needed then I would have to earn the money to buy the parts but I have the money then it can be fixed right away. I will doing all the repairs myself on things that go wrong. I will do rebuilds hopefully. When it's time for a rebuild I will try to do it myself. I've watched a lot of videos ok how to do it. So my mom said all these are cool ideas but she thinks I should just sell something I make online. I make duct tape wallets but they are dropping in popularity where I am and they don't sell well anymore. I can weld okish. I could get a lot more practice in if I talked to my grandpas. I could do metalworking I suppose. That's high paying and a great skill to have, also I'm not sure what I'll make. Metal working ideas please!! Fairly simple would be nice.

Avoid any type of handyman work it can get you into a lot of trouble if the wrong person finds out. You can still do labor like yard work, but avoid stuff like painting, drywall, plumbing.... You have to be licensed and insured in order to do construction/ handyman type work. The state has agents that keep tabs and "handymen" and you can be fined thousands of dollars for doing work or advertising to do work if you aren't licensed and insured.

Edited by Vernsker298

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet but what about farm work? I bought my first truck when I was 15, earned it shoveling pig $hit. Did that part time, nights weekends, after school etc for many years. Also worked at a llama farm during high school too.

Once I turned 16 I started at a local Triumph dealership and worked there for 10 years. During the first 5 of that I continued to work at the other 2 farms when I could.

If you live in the country and see your neighbors out in the weather working, go offer to help them for the afternoon. If you work hard they might actually pay you. Even if they don't, they'll talk about you to people who may be looking for help. Never under estimate the power of word-of-mouth.

• Like 3

I appreciate your willingness to work and feel bad for you younger guys. There were plenty of jobs for teenagers when I was a kid back in the 80's. Now, adults are doing many of those jobs for the same pay they were paying teens. Good Luck. Unfortunately, in this sue happy society, it may be hard to find people that will let you do any work for them at their home. They might worry you would get hurt and being and unisured worker, your parents or your insurance company could sue them. Just put the word out in the neighborhood. Car washing, dog washing, pick up dog crap in the yard, etc. Think of some things that people don't want to do or don't have the time.