It looks as if I have killed my CDI. I replaced the spark plug resistor & spring with a long spring and the bike wont start. Good grounds, good AC voltage to the CDI, good resistance through the stator, kill switch is working as advertised, pulse generator check out, good resistance check through the plug wire, but no output to the coil.
All I did was remove that resistor. And kick. And kick. And kick. And kick. No spark.
Could that first kick to an unresisted plug wire have killed my cdi? A one time freak incident? I have read elsewhere that the mod was safe and I am not blaming it.