Fall is almost here in Oklahoma. The latter race season is in full swing, but we only get to race the season closure, on October 29th.
This year I have 8 bikes to care for of which 7 are racing and two are XR's (250/400) and one is basically an XR- the CRF100F. We have been slowly modifying the XR250R for my nephew and we now have an Aloop Kit on it. As I posted before we also installed an XR400R front end on it. No motor mods yet but we did do a top overhaul with a new piston last year. It was a neglected example I picked up for $500. With a little more tuning and some carb and exhaust mods it will be an excellent B division bike for him.
My XR400R and I are still playing the setup game, I have the forks dialed on the high speed hits but the low speed is too soft- maybe it will be perfect after I up my spring rates. Cash shortage has prevented me from getting the correct springs, I ruined the .5 set I had by cutting them too short (first try at this) and the ones I have now were in the CR125 forks when I picked them up. The forks are not in the best shape, they blow fluid past the valve chamber seal internally and have some putting on the rods. But they are really precise at steering compared to the conventional forks and if I can get them setup right should continue to work fine. Stability over temperature ranges is why I switched forks, but I still haven't got them close enough to test that quality. I am running the valves flipped over and specially shimmed on the base valve. The stock holes are far too restrictive for off road racing the stock direction. I have the mid valve removed but might add it back in if I feel I need a little additional slow speed dampening after the rate change. We'll see.
Video of the forks on the bench:
On the hardware side- the lower triple clamps had to be modified to clear the tank with the side entry clamp bolts.the machining was too aggressive and now the bolts cause the back of the clamp to pinch the fork and cause spring binding. I will post pics of this later. I need to weld some outer stops on the clamp to keep the back spread open enough when tightening the bolts. I barely have enough room for the bolt heads to not hit the Aloop fuel tank. Retrospect I would have gone with my initial thought to use flat head bolts and Allen key style drive. Eliminating the hex head sticking out. I mentioned that to the machinist and he opted not to go that route. Anyway, I would sure love to have a set of Emig clamps but cash was not available and he did not make them for 46mm forks. In fact I don't think anyone does. The CR125R front end I bought just happened to have an applied racing top triple clamp which is excellent and out of production. I drilled and tapped it for my stock odometer mount.
Next conversion would probably be 47mm Showa due to parts availability but I used these because I thought they would be better for off road than closed chamber forks after talking with a couple of suspension tuners. No real comment on that at this point, maybe true, maybe false. Cavitation seems to be the main reason or switching to closed chamber forks and whether I have ever dealt with that or not I don't know.
Poser of the still dirty XR440R with my new gear bag.