2009 KTM 300 XCW Starter Woes (bendix, etc)

Hey everyone, wrestling with my new to me 2009 KTM 300 XCW. I got the bike and was told the starter didn't work, so the owner had simply "disconnected it". Turns out that may not have been the full story, as when I pulled the small access side cover off I noticed that the starter bendix had been removed. I pulled the side cover off and cleaned the interior. I did some research online, got a 410w starter and a lithium iron battery... and when looking at parts sheets discovered that all it seemed like I needed was the starter bendix. So, I ordered it up. I tossed it in and... there's TONS of freeplay, so much it just bounces around in there ontop of the flywheel and clunks all over. DEFINITELY not correct, haha.

Any ideas? I stopped by a shop today and he showed me a parts chart I have not seen (and can't find) and pointed out part #19 on it as being spacers/bushings... but they're not even available from KTM I believe he said.

So what do you think?
1- Can I find this part/parts anywhere?
2- Is it even worth bothering? Should I just ditch it all and get the sidecover and gasket to remove the starter system entirely?

Slavens racing has everything you need to get ypur starter system working. Shoot them an email, they are very helpfull. Just got a li-fe battery and starter rebuild from them for my 09 xcw. Works better than new now!

Email sent. Curious to see what ideas he has in mind for the missing pieces (there surely must be some) around the bendix.

I'm really hoping with all the new components on this puppy I'll have an electric start bike.

You wouldn't by chance want to trade your OEM gas tank for my GIANT desert gas tank would you? :D

So onwards to a more serious question...

The previous owner also cut all of the wiring up front, being a twerp. Anyone know which of these connectors goes to the starter? I got a moose racing replacement starter but it looks nothing like the rest of these connectors. Makes me think the previous owner did something stupid(er).

ktm-wiring-wth.jpg

Do you have a manual for the bike? There is a complete wiring diagram in there. Aside from the bendix and starter gear, there is also a "crown" gear that goes between the two. The bendix and crown gear both require bushings on either end, as well as the crown gear needs to be shimmed to provide proper backlash. Only the stwrter push button wiring is behind the number plate, the actual starter wiring goes from starter to battery, relay is in the airbox as well

Thanks for telling me to check the manual. Pulled it out, checked the wiring diagram and figured it all out in no time! Gotta wire up a disconnect for the starter button, but I'm well on my way! Cranks over the starter, does it's thing, etc etc. I got the parts from Slavens racing (2x incase I screw up) and will be installing it all in no time!

I got that gas tank off if anybody wants to take it off of my hands! It's so much damn weight up front and splashes around more than I'd like. I really just don't ride far enough to need 3.2gallons (at 25mpg what is that... 75+ miles?!?)

Edited by Jnicola

Hi,

i am also fighting EXC 250 starter thing. Which is not standard for 2009 EU models. Purchased used of fleebay and it ended with:
- new complete main wiring loom

- new 7ah battery

- new bushes from slavens

- new 410w motor of fleebay

and that bloody bendix still wont go out. Yesterday ordered new OEM bendix and interim gear. KTM has updated it for 2014 model. So will post here if there is good result finaly.

So... my situation continues to progress in new and interesting ways. Damn near EVERYTHING relating to the starter system was gutted and/or bad... and it continues.

New starter. New bendix. New Crown Gear. New Gaskets. New Starter Button. Everything in place... turns over but barely and sort of locks up. Wafts of smoke! @*$%*@%*!!!!!

Take it all apart, determine lack of gasket (used hondabond) for crown gear caused the issue as it was too snug. Turns out that was WAY wrong, haha. Okay, get gasket, put it together. Starter doesn't even try and spin. I figure I fry the electrical starter. Walk away in frustration. $90 delete kit is sounding great.

I decide to do some more trouble shooting, and got old school. I jump the solenoid with a pair of pliers. THE STARTER WORKS AND EVEN STARTS THE BIKE RIGHT UP FROM COLD! WOOHOO!

Questions: I firmly believe it's something relating to the relay/solenoid at this point as when I jump the solenoid it delivers power properly. I check continuity (signal) between the connections. Hot connection out to button is good, when button pushes bridges connection to negative... this leads me to believe the solenoid is fried. Anybody know how to test a solenoid/relay? Any other ideas I should be testing/looking for? What voltage should I see on it's way out to the button? 12v?

Edited by Shred Jesse

Hi,

i am also fighting EXC 250 starter thing. Which is not standard for 2009 EU models. Purchased used of fleebay and it ended with:

- new complete main wiring loom

- new 7ah battery

- new bushes from slavens

- new 410w motor of fleebay

and that bloody bendix still wont go out. Yesterday ordered new OEM bendix and interim gear. KTM has updated it for 2014 model. So will post here if there is good result finaly.

yeah! new bendix and crownwheel did the trick!

finally magic button is not only easthetic thing! ?

Questions: I firmly believe it's something relating to the relay/solenoid at this point as when I jump the solenoid it delivers power properly. I check continuity (signal) between the connections. Hot connection out to button is good, when button pushes bridges connection to negative... this leads me to believe the solenoid is fried. Anybody know how to test a solenoid/relay? Any other ideas I should be testing/looking for? What voltage should I see on it's way out to the button? 12v?

You can take the solenoid out and have Auto Electric and Battery in Hillsboro,OR bench test it. Or take the entire bike in and they'll diagnose the problem. I was going to replace my solenoid due to the symptoms, but took it in there and they bench tested it for free and it was good. My 1 year old battery was toast.