Riding The Alessandro/Hixon Trails Or A Day In Paradise

Here's alittle history on how this ride came about. Last year myself and my friend Steven rode both of these trails while riding the Malcolm Smith No Wimps Ride. After the ride we talked about those two trails and how much fun they were to ride and we decided then that we would have to come back and try to make a loop out of using those trails.

THE GOAL:

Was to start right at the beginning of the Hixon Trail ride it to the top then connect over to the Alessandro Trail. We would then ride down the Alessandro Trail take a short break then turn around and head back up it. Once back at the top of the Alessandro Trail we'd head back over to the Hixon Trail then ride down that till we got to the turn off for the Hixon Loop. At that time we would then ride the Hixon Loop until we hoped it would but us back on the Hixon Trail then ride that back to the trucks. We weren't expecting this to be a really long ride just a really fun ride.

Here's the cast of characters for our day in Paradise. From left to right is Steven, Tom (Tom Slick), and Matt (Inoculation). We also had quite the blend of brands as you can see there was a Suzuki, Husqvarna, KTM, and a Honda.

IMG_0556.jpg

Here's two pictures of the trail head.

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

Here's two more pictures of the trail right at the beginning as we're starting to head up.

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

A group photo at about 1/4 of the way up the trail.

IMG_0557.jpg

Matt heading on up.

IMG_0559.jpg

Tom

IMG_0560.jpg

Alittle further along the trail looking forward and then back at what we had just ridden.

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

Tom continuing on.

IMG_0562.jpg

From the trail just looking out to the west.

IMG_0565.jpg

Looking back

IMG_0566.jpg

As we kept climbing the Hixon Trail we started to get into the snow. As the next two photo's will show we're now at the end of the Hixon Trail and are definitely playing in the snow.

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Two photo's as we're now heading over to the Alessandro Trail. In these kind of conditions even a fireroad can be fun to ride.

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

Group photo right at the top of the Alessandro Trail.

IMG_0574.jpg

The Alessandro Trail head.

IMG_0572.jpg

And looking on down at what we're about to get to play on.

IMG_0573.jpg

Next up will be the Alessandro Trail.

• Like 3

Okay now we're heading on down the Alessandro Trail. Steven is leading the way followed by Matt then Tom while I'm riding sweep.

Tom as he's heading in right by the trail head.

IMG_0575.jpg

Just two pictures on the trail that I just felt needed to be taken to really show what this ride was like.

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

Another group photo on the trail. As we're sitting here Steven asks how wet is everyone. Me and Tom kinda look at each other wondering what he's talking about since we're both completely dry. Well since he was riding point he was getting to knock all the water off of the branches. Anything that Steven didn't get Matt was nice enough to get. We both thank you. :applause:

IMG_0578.jpg

Same spot now just looking back at what we'd just ridden.

IMG_0579.jpg

We're now out of the snow again. Here's two more photo's with the first looking down the trail and the second just looking out from the trail.

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

Group photo on the trail again. This time you can actually see who's who so I'll reintroduce everyone. From front to back are Steven, Matt, and Tom.

IMG_0582.jpg

Matt's bike right at the bottom of the Alessandro Trail.

IMG_0583.jpg

We took a short break here and had something to eat before we then headed back up.

Start of the trail heading back up.

IMG_0584.jpg

From this point you head to here which is the first technical part of the climb. It's a right hand turn immediately followed by a step up. Last time here I ended up on the ground twice before finally making it on the third try. This time I used a different approach where I didn't try to do it as one motion. Instead I came up made the right hand turn hit the step then let it roll backwards as fas as possible then just got on the motor and popped over it.

Here's what it looks like and of course the picture doesn't do it justice. It's harder than it looks.

IMG_0592.jpg

Same section just after the worst of it as it starts to curve to the left.

IMG_0594.jpg

Tom trying it the same way that I planned on doing it.

IMG_0585.jpg

Not quite getting the result he was looking for. Here's Matt to the rescue.

IMG_0587.jpg

Here's Steven heading into it to show us how it's suppose to be done.

IMG_0591.jpg

And of course he's going to clean it.?

IMG_0593.jpg

More to come shortly.

Okay now we're alittle further along the trail and coming into the next real technical/challenging section. This is a blind 90 degree right hand uphill turn where your in a huge rutt followed by a left which then puts you into a series of step ups. Here's a series of pictures with Steven demonstrating how to do it.

Steven coming out of the right hand part getting ready to turn left.

IMG_0595.jpg

Cleaning the first step up. :naughty:

IMG_0596.jpg

Home free?

IMG_0599.jpg

Matt in the right hand turn getting ready for the left.

IMG_0597.jpg

Looking good in the step up section. :applause:

IMG_0598.jpg

Home free as well. :eek:

IMG_0600.jpg

Here's a picture of what it looks like without any bikes blocking the view.

IMG_0601.jpg

On the trail and we're back in the snow again.

IMG_0604.jpg

Well now we have to deal with this. Can you say wet and slick.

IMG_0605.jpg

Tom picking it back up after crashing near the top and then sliding back down.

IMG_0603.jpg

Rematch this time with Tom winning.?

IMG_0606.jpg

Steven's turn right as he's coming over the top.

IMG_0607.jpg

After this section we just rode back over to the Hixon Trail and started to headed on down. We're out of the snow for good now and here's a picture looking back on what we had just ridden.

IMG_0610.jpg

Same vantage point now just looking at what we're about to ride.

IMG_0611.jpg

Here's a picture on the same trail just looking back at what we had just come down. :naughty:

IMG_0614.jpg

As we're sitting at the bottom talking about how I picked the absolute worst line to come down that hill Matt and Steven decide to have a little contest to see who can get the furthest up the hill. Coming down it was hairy enough for me I didn't even want to think about trying to climb it.

Matt coming back down after trying to climb it.

IMG_0618.jpg

Steven heading up.

IMG_0619.jpg

And the winner is Matt.? We're still sitting at the same spot now just looking at what we're going to head up.

IMG_0620.jpg

This hill was deceiving in that if you lost momentum on it you were in trouble. Basically right at the top it was rock with a wet clay mixed in. In the picture Tom had stalled it right at the top and then had to push/pull/slither his way to the top.

IMG_0622.jpg

After you got over this hill you then headed down a really nice long downhill. I started down it thinking it would be no big deal. Well guess again it was nothing but wet slick clay where touching the brakes to slow down actually made you go faster. Well needless to say this turned into one e-ticket ride trying to get to the bottom while staying on the bike. I managed to make it but it was definitely an adrenaline rush. :eek: Once I got to the bottom I turned around to see how Tom was making out.

Here's a picture with Tom coming out of the brush when he couldn't make the left hand turn right about 3/4 of the way down.

IMG_0624.jpg

Tom back on the trail after getting his bike out of the brush which actually worked quite well at getting him stopped.

IMG_0625.jpg

Taking a little break here after I had just taken a soil sample. So do you think Tom is having a good time here. :applause:?

IMG_0626.jpg

Looking forward from the same spot.

IMG_0627.jpg

From this point we connected over to the start of the Hixon Loop. Here's a picture right at the junction of the Hixon Trail and the Hixon Loop.

IMG_0628.jpg

At this point I didn't take any pictures on the Hixon Loop. But don't worry about it if you've been paying any attention to the other pictures you have a real good idea of what it looks like. To say it was another awesome trail that was a blast to ride would be an understatement. I give it a two thumbs up rating. :applause:? Instead of taking pictures I decided to try my luck at trying to hang with the two big dogs on this ride. Meaning Steven and Matt. Could I do it? :eek: Would I survive the attempt unscathed? :naughty: Well since I'm writing this report I obviously survived the attempt.? Did I manage to hang at their pace? Well the answer in one word is no. :worthy: I did have alot of fun trying though.

Here's a picture right at the same point since the loop really is a loop and we ended up right back where we started at.

IMG_0629.jpg

As a matter of fact the Hixon Loop was so much fun that we decided to ride it again just backwards this time. After riding the Hixon Loop backwards we then just connected to the Hixon Trail and started heading back to the trucks.

Here's a picture from the Hixon Trail as we're heading back down.

IMG_0630.jpg

Here's two more pictures just looking out from the trail.

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

Careful Tom or those rutts will get you everytime.

IMG_0635.jpg

On the trail just looking down. If you look closely you'll see Tom right near the bottom.

IMG_0637.jpg

And the last two pictures from the ride are of Tom right as he's near the end of the trail.

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

This ride exceeded all my expectations for it. I knew coming into it that if we could connect it together like we thought we could we would have a ride right around the 30 mile mark that would be alot of fun to ride. What we ended up with was 36 miles of riding in Paradise. I mean how do you beat perfect conditons, wonderful trails, and great company. For me it really doesn't get any better than this. Matt, Steven, and Tom thanks for being there to share the experience with me.?

Hey Walt!

Great ride report, makes me want to go back there again. Thanks for including me on that ride:thumbsup: And you are welcome for the water clearing that I provided, but Steven took most of it:p Like I said before, anytime you want to get a ride together, let me know. I will try my hardest to make it. Yorur post makes me think I need to take more pictures. I took 2 only, but I will try to post them up when I put them on photobucket

Matt

Everytime I see these Cali posts, it makes me want to pick up and move out there!!?

Then when I see such a great ride report, it makes me realize I need to slow down and take more pics on our rides to give everyone a look at the type of terrain we ride back east.

Great Ride Report 9lives!!! :applause:

Yeah me too, so lets ride it when I come out Dave!?

matt88,

I think the trailhead shown in the first 2 pics is on Bautista Cyn., south of Hemet. We went through portions of these trails in the OC Dualies charity dual sport ride last May.

THAT looks like fun! I was lucky enough to ride both those trails a few years ago but not with the nice conditions you had.

Glenn

Glenn would you like to join us when we do that ride again? And yeah you're right that was alot of fun. I think Tom summed it up best when he just said he was smiling the whole time we were there.