KTM Blade style Fork guards, DRZ400 S or E Model

KTM blade style fork guard swap on the DRZ

The WHY for this MOD is both looks and performance... If your here..you have decided one or both are good enough reasons for you... :ride: And really that’s all that matters. So let’s move on ?
Front.jpg
close up front.jpg
drz_front.jpg

Some have asked if these fork guards provide enough protection.
attachment.php?attachmentid=9955&d=12580
They seem to have worked just fine for many.. Mud, rocks, water, branches
attachment.php?attachmentid=9954&d=12334
I have more than 11 years of riding this DRZ with no fork seal failures... I'd say they work just fine. YMMV ?

This is almost a bolt on MOD for an E model DRZ. Pretty much follow the what to remove parts of the write up, and the install.. Ignore the mod of the S headlight bracket.
On the S model running, an OEM headlight you have to mod the light mounts. This takes the ability to cut the steel brackets and weld them back together. More on that later.
Some have opted to cut up the fork guards and use hose clamps instead.. I do not recommend that option.. But it’s out there in the archives if users are interested.

The parts:
Parts are sourced from a KTM 250 EXC 97-98 Using conventional 50mm forks
I have tried both OEM and aftermarket blades, clamps and guides,, The OEM stuff is better. Parts of three aftermarket kits have snapped or otherwise busted,, were the KTM parts are still going strong 7 years later. So your choice.. But I stayed with OEM.

These part numbers are valid as of NOV 2009. In general, they run about $46 for the parts listed below depending on source. I have no doubt at some point they will change. If you find a part number does not work.. send me a PM and If I’m still here on TT, I’ll update the list.

50301092000 FORK PROTECTOR L/S BLACK '97 1 Each needed
50301093000 FORK PROTECTOR R/S BLACK '97 1 Each needed
50301090250 CLAMP PROTECTOR GUIDE '98 2 Each needed
5460129000030 PROTECTOR GUIDE L/S 1 Each needed
5460139000030 PROTECTOR GUIDE R/S 1 Each needed

You could use fasteners from a hardware store for this stuff and save a few $ vs ordering the KTM Parts … But the fasteners listed below work perfect, are the right lengths, fit the counter bores in the parts and are just plain easier to order when you get the other hard parts above..

HOWEVER,, Don't let the lack of any of these fasters stop you from doing this MOD, These fasteners can all be sourced from a good fastener shop or hardware store.
NOTE: Some users have reported that the three parts (and part numbers) below that have a leading ZERO in the part number do not show up in a online parts fiche... If that happens, try looking up the part WITHOUT the leading zero.
Ie 0985050003 SL NUT 8 Each needed.. Remove the leading zero and try
As of 19 OCT 2010, the part numbers are still valid in at least two on line sources, but also fault on one other until the zero is dropped.

0985050003 SL NUT 8 Each needed
15050163 "HH COLLAR SCREW M5x16,WS8" 4 Each needed
0015050203 HH COLLAR SCREW 4 Each needed

Remove the black accordion boots, and the white plastic fittings they attach to... toss it all in the trashcan. You can pull the fork legs out of the triple clamps to do this and save the boots, or just cut them off. If your installing on a S with OEM headlight, your dropping the fork legs anyway.. So the choice is yours.

Remove the white plastic brackets that hold the speedo and brake cable to the lower fork leg. Notch them with a sharp knife or dremel and they will snap right off.
attachment.php?attachmentid=12442&stc=1&
Toss the white plastic parts in the trash.
NOTE: The brake line MUST be held tightly to the left fork leg. As the suspension compresses, the brake line will flex and slide UP through the guard.
Just like the OEM set up
brake line mount.jpg
If you do not attach the line to the fork leg tightly, as the suspension compresses, the line will flex into the wheel spokes, and damage the line.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
There are as many ways to do this as there are DRZs on the trail.. From a large ZIP tie, to some tape, to making a bracket and clamp.
I found two wraps of quality black electrical tape right where the brake line crosses over the fork leg works great, is simple to cut off when needed, and if you're careful on install, overlapping the tape turns,, it makes a nice clean way to hold the brake line secure. If this were a Super Street ridden clean bike, I'd buy / make a fixed clamp for the brake line.

Headlight bracket
On a DRZ S that has the OEM headlight the mounting brackets will need to be shortened. This requires you to make two cuts, sectioning out a 3/4" piece, and weld the mount back together.
OEM bracket and fork guard.jpg
Great project for the new welder you got for your birthday. Alternatively, enlist the help of a friend. One of the great things about TT, huge group of people with a wide range of skills..Post up a request for help and see what happens ?
The headlight and all associated gear still fit as OEM with the shortened brackets installed.

The Install
Assembly the
50301090250 CLAMP PROTECTOR GUIDE with one each
5460129000030 PROTECTOR GUIDE left side
5460139000030 PROTECTOR GUIDE right side
attachment.php?attachmentid=12443&stc=1&
NOTE, the guide clamp used in this photo is from a 43mm fork (1997 125) It does not fit all the way around the DRZ fork... If you use a large, thick cable clamp like the gray one in this pic you can make the 43mm clamp work. Other wise use the 50mm clamp like seen elsewhere in this write up and shown in the part numbers above
These go around the fork leg, install the clamping fastener, but do not tighten yet.

The fork protector blade itself is a simple install. You will need to trim just a bit where the guard fits up next to the triple clamp. A Sharpe knife, carbide bit in a air die grinder, or the like works great for this. Trim just a little, test fit, and continue to trim as needed until you get a good fit and the guard will face straight forward.. Once fit is right, tighten the fork guard clamp bolt to secure it in place.

Move the guide up in to position, sliding the upper guard blade into the guide, align it so you have full front protection of the fork leg, the blade is centered in the guide and tighten the guide clamp bolt.

That is about it. Enjoy your newly installed fork guards... :ride: :ride:

As always with any write up.. We assume you have some general experience with tools motorcycles and modifying aftermarket parts to fit your intended application. If you’re not comfortable with that consider having a friend help, or choose a commercial off the shelf made to fit kit.

GANG this one is not done.. But with lots of questions lately I figured I'd get what I have out there and update it as I have time.

brake bracket.jpg

Guard parts.jpg

Edited by E.Marquez
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...